Stainless steel spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I have just more or less finished a restoration project on my Hugh Porter. The only thing letting it down now is the wheels. The hubs and rims are fine but the spokes are in need of tensioning correctly and as I do not feel competent to do that myself I have decided to have the work done at my LBS. My question is, will there be any advantage gained if I have stainless steel spokes fitted rather than the standard type. At the moment I am drawn to Stainless purely for cosmetic reasons.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Most of us wouldn't use anything else. Galvanised ("rustless") spokes only tend to be found on the cheapest OEM wheels and are rarely seen for sale as spare parts.

A warning: many bike shops do not build good wheels. Bike mechanics will have been taught wheelbuilding if they've done Cytech but that doesn't make them a wheelbuilder. Building a good wheel either takes a lot of previous practice or a lot of time per wheel.

Last edited:
I've built up several wheels over the last few years, some with stainless spokes and some with zinc plated ones. Given the choice, I'd choose stainless - main plus being more tensile strength and maintenance free. Reason I've used zinc plated ones is for builds with internal hub gears, as they use non standard sizes due to having larger flanges. I can bodge things a little with the cheapo spokes, and sometimes it's just to try out something on a particular project. For longevity I'd prefer stainless with brass nipples.

PS - assume zinc and galvanised are one and the same with regard to spokes.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Stainless are so much nicer !

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
For many years 'rustless' (galvanised) spokes were the best option. Early stainless spokes looked nice but broke, much the same as chrome ones. The manufacturers must have spent some time refining the alloys used, and current stainless spokes (the good brands) are very reliable.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
This is the main reason you don't really see 40h wheels any more. Spokes are so much better than in the 1960s.

Big John

Guru
I used to buy mine from a place called Spokesave. Sadly they disappeared into the ether. Their spokes were somewhat limited in that you could get every length but only in 2mm plain guage. Nothing fancy like double butted, etc. When I clean the bikes those spokes sparkle as much as when they were brand new. Good quality stainless - you can't beat it 👍

Top Bottom