Stamp Collection - the best way to sell one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm after a bit of advice from those in the know. Both SWMBO and myself have stamp collections from years ago; hers covers Africa and mine is allsorts. Hers is organised by country and year, mine is just by country/not organised at all!

None are really valuable (we think!) but as part of making some space we're clearing them out. There's a couple of carrier bags worth of stamp albums and different packets, probably over 1000 stamps in total from various countries and years including first day covers.

Has anyone tried to sell theirs?

Am I best looking at a dealer and/or eBay to shift them all?

jack smith

Veteran
I know nothing about stamps but whenever i have gone to dealers for valuation or to sell they lowball rediculous amounts the issue with valuations is they value low so they can buy them from you then knock lff abit more to say they can make a profit your best bet id finding someone indipendant that knows to value them then stick them online!

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Thanks all; I can organise an eBay set-up if needed - I have done this in part.

Potentially it'll be a dealer first to get an idea but I'm not expecting much. We'll have a sort through over the next few days to see if we can get them in a better order.

jack smith

Veteran
Im a skint student at the moment probably why ive got those views haha! Maybe that will change when i go back for the army nextyear!

screenman

Legendary Member
Im a skint student at the moment probably why ive got those views haha! Maybe that will change when i go back for the army nextyear!

That is likely the reason we have different views. If you ever read some of my posts I often come from the complete opposite, wired up wrong maybe.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

does that mean we will be losing you from here? if so for how long do you reckon? :sad:

@jack smith next year:

armed_bikes_1.jpg

jack smith

Veteran
does that mean we will be losing you from here? if so for how long do you reckon? :sad:

sorry to de-rail thread :sad:
Cheers Ed
Well last time i was in the field on the moors i sneaked my phone to bid on an allez on ebay so im sure ill be about haha!! I won it btw :gun:

Might be worth telling the dealer you want to know the value to add them to your house insurance ect to get a more accurate estimate, not saying they are all bad mind most are nice im sure!

screenman

Legendary Member
Every little helps in my book!

There may come a time where you put a price on your time.

Say the seller wants a quick sale on a £2,000 item and will maybe get that in a month's time, after spending time and money on trying to sell the item, being messed around by pretend buyers etc.

Or he could take say £1600 tomorrow no effort, no expense, no hassle.

It depends on so many things, has he got the time, does he want the hassle, does he want them gone quickly, does he need people coming to his house casing the joint, does he need the extra money.

Top Bottom