Stand Up Paddle Boarding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Katherine I'm really fancying giving this a go at the Helly Hansen centre at Salford Quays. They're quoting £10 for an hours session including wetsuit and basic tuition, or £40 for a private lesson. I think I'll just go for the tenner option TBH. FWIW Sale Water Park are quoting £15 + £5 wetsuit hire, (so double SQ price), but they're only £30 for a private lesson, but probably still plus wetsuit hire.

Only trouble is I can't do it until mid August due to existing commitments and being away in early August. That said I'll be in Northumberland in early August so I might see if I can have a dabble up there, watch this space :hyper:

In fact I'm surprised that nobody has thought of putting a sail on one, to let the wind do all the hard work.

Oh, hang on ...
I can put a sail on both my SUP boards (one inflatable, one rigid). Available wind being the decider when I'm out and about. Closer to home just use the windsurf board at my Clubs water.

A taster session on Ullswater had me hooked on SUP 4 years ago.
Was on the Broads last week on holiday. Usually out a couple of times a day - before rest of family got up, then a short paddle to the pub a few hundred metres away on other side of river later on. Like riding a bike booze limits ability...
Liverpool docks, one evening a couple of weeks before that. Lots of people about but the water to myself. Even a session on Grimsby docks. I've hired one in Brazil.

I've taken the inflatable board all over the place since I've had it - 3+years now.
Standing up gives a different perspective to a kayak/canoe. And likewise its not a better/worse way of being on the water - just different.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
A few weeks ago I did a charity canoe trip 18 miles from Leamington Spa to Stratford-upon-Avon, there were at least 2 SUP’ers doing the same trip, which I would say was quite impressive seeing as most people took about 6 hours. I did not see any of them shooting the weirs though :tongue:

Top Bottom