Stand Up Paddle Boarding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
..... Is wondrous!

I've seen other people doing this on holiday when the sea is calm and also at the water sports centre at Salford Quays.
I've always wondered if it is as easy as it looks. - Well it is.

I regretted not trying it on holiday last year, so this year, after thinking about it for a few days, I booked a lesson.
I'd been worried about being able to stand up but the instructor gave such clear instructions that I just did it!
He said keep your eyes on the horizon which worked.
Eventually I relaxed enough to look around, and down at the clear sea, the shimmering sand below and the rocks.
We paddled over to a rocky reef where the different coloured seaweeds were beautiful. You could see shoals of fish. There was a pair of swans paddling in the opposite direction.
If you are wondering, I am in Cornwall!

To start with my legs were shaking but the instructor explained about lifting your toes up and spread them every now and then.
I thought I'd be tired after the hour's lesson but I ended up staying out for a second hour....

................. by which time I was more relaxed than I can ever remember being!
I didn't expect anything else to give you that feel good feeling like cycling does.

So, if you are thinking of trying something, do it!
My Daughter is in Greece at the moment, she has just posted this on Facebook.
supp.PNG

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Sorry to say it but paddle boarding looks quite dull to me as well as possibly the least efficient way of moving on water.

In fact I'm surprised that nobody has thought of putting a sail on one, to let the wind do all the hard work.

Oh, hang on ...

Julia9054

Guru
Have been watching people do this on the French rivers where i am currently on holiday. I know myself well enough to realise i would be utterly hopeless at it.
Also been watching groups of people on what looks like a bicycle but has a platform instead of a saddle so is actually a scooter but has a battery so no scooting - very odd. Ebike/scooter/segway hybrid!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've watched a lot of people doing it off Brighton beach. It's popular, it's exercise and enough people find it fun tthat I deplore the negativity some feel.
My worry about it is that it's only possible when it;s very calm or have I got that wrong?

screenman

Legendary Member
I have played with toys on water since I was about 11, all good fun in my humble. Skiing, kayaking, sailing, boating, diving, and I am sure there are more.

Buck

Guru
We’ve SUP boarded a few times - earlier this year we started in Derwent water and then headed down the river Derwent. Good fun especially going over a weir and also on the mini rapids where staying up right was the challenge !

The one thing I was surprised at was just how expensive the boards are!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
It's the new thing to do here too. Much like kayaking and wild swimming, I'm awaiting an invite

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Had my first go on a SUP on a gentle south-cornish sea in 2017 and loved it. So graceful, much easier on my weak core muscles than kayaking, and a better view of what's under the water.
Back in Cornwall at the mo and will try it again at Port Gaverne at some point.

Broadside

Guru
I've watched a lot of people doing it off Brighton beach. It's popular, it's exercise and enough people find it fun tthat I deplore the negativity some feel.
My worry about it is that it's only possible when it;s very calm or have I got that wrong?

They can be a lot of fun when there is some decent surf, definitely not just for calm flat waters. You see a lot of people paddling out and then coming in on the waves at a rate of knots.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Tried SUP when we had a holiday on Gozo last summer, loved it. Warm sun, warm sea, beautiful surroundings. By the end I was happy to fall in just to cool off ! A perfect morning's activity. I would say, don't knock it till you have tried it. I also love sea kayaking but its not a matter of preferring one or the other, they are different experiences.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Had my first go on a SUP on a gentle south-cornish sea in 2017 and loved it. So graceful, much easier on my weak core muscles than kayaking, and a better view of what's under the water.
Back in Cornwall at the mo and will try it again at Port Gaverne at some point.

I take it all back! Port Gavern today with wind, Rainand waves - couldn't stand for more than ten seconds,it was exhausting and there was nothing graceful about it!

But I know how good it can be, so I'll definitely try again!

OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
I take it all back! Port Gavern today with wind, Rainand waves - couldn't stand for more than ten seconds,it was exhausting and there was nothing graceful about it!

But I know how good it can be, so I'll definitely try again!

Yes, it's definitely an activity for a calm day. I was going to do it last Saturday but when I was enquiring, I was advised how hard work it would be against an off shore wind. There was a cross shore wind on Monday which was easier to manage around the reefs.

a better view of what's under the water.
Amazing view of the under water scene. Because you are upright, looking down you can see everything.

Hope you get another chance!

Top Bottom