Standard of English for Teachers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Please provide us with your list of jobs constituting "the real world"
I knew that would be a light blue touch paper & run comment
Seriously though, with teachers leaving the job in droves and a massive recruitment crisis, many schools are struggling to fill posts permanently with anyone at all.
Yes because of the old guard
(And it's practice btw)
Not according to my US colleagues
In all seriousness how can somebody teach something like Business Studies, Economics etc. that was born, went to infant school. junior school, comprehensive school, college, university & then goes straight back to school to teach with no experience.

Yeh! and they get paid a massive £23,000 a year for it. Teachers are underpaid by a long way, many do not get parental support or for that matter goverment support.
I'll call BS, https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/funding-and-salary/teacher-salaries

screenman

Legendary Member
Call it all you want, but schools are paying the lower end by miles.

D

Deleted member 26715

Call it all you want, but schools are paying the lower end by miles.
Average salary for teachers in the UK is £38K+ which where I come from is double the average wage, along with the final salary scheme, 14 weeks holiday 7 hour days, never seen a poor established teacher, some look like tramps but never poor.

screenman

Legendary Member
Average salary for teachers in the UK is £38K+ which where I come from is double the average wage, along with the final salary scheme, 14 weeks holiday 7 hour days, never seen a poor established teacher, some look like tramps but never poor.

I suggest you do not know any established or newly qualified teachers. I also guess that you earn a lot more than they do.

subaqua

What’s the point
Shame, it ought to be compulsory they they go out & get an education in the real world before being allowed to be cosseted within the school system, our children's education is too valuable to be left to people who do not have a clue how the real world works, it's all theory & no practise.
I bet you don't have the nuts to tell my missus face to face she doesn't know how the real world works. .

subaqua

What’s the point
Really , maybe teachers from the 70s. My missus super Ann is far from good, so much so that we took out an extra pension over 10 years ago based on advice from union.

But if you want to believe rubbish . Crack on .

subaqua

What’s the point
You do understand how averages work ?

Only needs a few at upper end of pay scale to skew average. Wife has been teaching for 28 years. She is on top of upper pay spine in London. And has proven results. But is now discriminated against on pay as she is expensive. mentors new teachers but is ready to leave.

Pay peanuts get monkeys .

And then you get people like you whining about how bad teachers are.

And it's the teachers like my wife who mentor the new lot. So when the good teachers are gone who mentors. Ah yes.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My God - you're ANCIENT! A veritable crumbly!

Seriously - the old course word regime has to a very large extent been replaced by "controlled assessment" - done within time limits, in classroom space and time. It avoids the once frequent cases of student presenting magnificent Geography (or whatever) work --------- produced by mummy/daddy/older sibling who happens to have a PhD/etc.

[edit @Julia9054 types faster :laugh:]
He can't be that old, there was no such thing as a GCSE when I was at school, 'O' level and CSE were the exams I took.

subaqua

What’s the point
He can't be that old, there was no such thing as a GCSE when I was at school, 'O' level and CSE were the exams I took.

I was in school when both were about. Was first year of GCSE. 1988 . Although some who think they know better will argue I am wrong . Until I post certificate .....

subaqua

What’s the point
You are, maybe deliberately and mischieviously, confusing directed time and working time. From the teachers I have known I would think that 9 to 10 hour days are closer to the real figure, as well as hours put in at weekends, and several days during the holidays.

99% of teachers hate being directed by the government . But apparently it's their fault for doing what they are told what their job is .

So mr phaeton what's your job ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaun

Founder
Sorry, I meant to post after locking the thread earlier but got a bit sidetracked. :addict:

I closed it to cool things down and to edit out some of the comments that were becoming personal in nature. I may reopen it later.

Cheers,
Shaun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom