Standard of English for Teachers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bit of a rant... one of our daughters is having a bit of a bad time with one of her teachers... she's in the first year of secondary school (year 7) and had a pile of detentions from said ICT (Information Communication Technology) teacher lately (one for clicking her pen open after been told to stop clicking it... she closed it, put it down and later on in the lesson the teacher told them to pick up their pens and write something down, she clicked it open and got told off (much to my amusement)). We got an email from said teacher today complaining about her behaviour. It was in pigeon English at best and complained about her getting out of her seat twice during a lesson and "asking strange question me".
Apparently they do about five minutes of ICT in her 45 min ICT lesson and are then told to get on with homework (from other classes) if they finish... according to daughter no1 she finished work in five minutes and went to join group doing homework and got told off for leaving her seat... went back to her seat and then asked the teacher if she could go and get her bag back from the homework table (the teacher said yes) so got up and walked over to get it and then got a bollocking for leaving he seat (we are guessing the teacher misunderstood). Finally they were going over the ICT homework and our daughter had been given four company logos to talk about. Three went well and then she spoke about one called 'drench', said "I notice you drink a lot of water during lessons and I think that's a good thing for hydration and your skin" and apparently got another bollocking (we are guessing that is the "asking strange question me" bit).
We questioned her when she got home and Daughter No2 (no 1's twin - and in a different half of the year) couldn't stop laughing and stuck up for her sibling stating said teacher was pretty much incomprehensible at best (none of us understand what she is saying most of the time and you get told off if you aske her what she is saying) and she just 'picks on people for no reason"... D2 would have no trouble dabbing D1 in in a heartbeat if she could, so one tends to believe her as well...
As a former teacher I understand children can be annoying (especially mine) and one might get the wrong end of the stick, and I'd normally stick up for the teacher but according to both daughters ICT lessons take on this model of short task followed by doing 'other' homework, which in itself beggs the question of is a decent lesson plan in place (what happened to decent follow on tasks)... then we have the matter of actually being able to understand the foreign teacher and s/he being able to understand the pupils...

Drago

Legendary Member
Pidgin English, surely?

Bit of a rant... one of our daughters is having a bit of a bad time with one of her teachers... she's in the first year of secondary school (year 7) and had a pile of detentions from said ICT (Information Communication Technology) teacher lately (one for clicking her pen open after been told to stop clicking it... she closed it, put it down and later on in the lesson the teacher told them to pick up their pens and write something down, she clicked it open and got told off (much to my amusement)). We got an email from said teacher today complaining about her behaviour. It was in pigeon English at best and complained about her getting out of her seat twice during a lesson and "asking strange question me".
Apparently they do about five minutes of ICT in her 45 min ICT lesson and are then told to get on with homework (from other classes) if they finish... according to daughter no1 she finished work in five minutes and went to join group doing homework and got told off for leaving her seat... went back to her seat and then asked the teacher if she could go and get her bag back from the homework table (the teacher said yes) so got up and walked over to get it and then got a bollocking for leaving he seat (we are guessing the teacher misunderstood). Finally they were going over the ICT homework and our daughter had been given four company logos to talk about. Three went well and then she spoke about one called 'drench', said "I notice you drink a lot of water during lessons and I think that's a good thing for hydration and your skin" and apparently got another bollocking (we are guessing that is the "asking strange question me" bit).
We questioned her when she got home and Daughter No2 (no 1's twin - and in a different half of the year) couldn't stop laughing and stuck up for her sibling stating said teacher was pretty much incomprehensible at best (none of us understand what she is saying most of the time and you get told off if you aske her what she is saying) and she just 'picks on people for no reason"... D2 would have no trouble dabbing D1 in in a heartbeat if she could, so one tends to believe her as well...
As a former teacher I understand children can be annoying (especially mine) and one might get the wrong end of the stick, and I'd normally stick up for the teacher but according to both daughters ICT lessons take on this model of short task followed by doing 'other' homework, which in itself beggs the question of is a decent lesson plan in place (what happened to decent follow on tasks)... then we have the matter of actually being able to understand the foreign teacher and s/he being able to understand the pupils...

To be fair, your English in this post was pretty crap too!

OP
OP
TwickenhamCyclist
[QUOTE 4724998, member: 45"]Email the head's PA and ask for a copy of the complaints policy. They'll have it all sorted in a day.[/QUOTE]
Good advice and wish I had done that at their previous primary school...
One of them was 'involved in a homophobic' incident... and it was going to 'go down on their record'... I got called in and was shown the evidence...
Basically daughter 2 had been passing a note back and froth with a boy in the class... they were nine years old...
I got called into a meeting with the teacher, deputy head, head and welfare officer... I agreed that she shouldn't be passing notes and should be paying attention in class before I even saw it... then the teacher showed me the note 'chain' that was the centre of the homophobic concern...
It read:

HIM: This lesson boring
HER: Yes
HIM: You smell of poo
HER: Not a bad as you smell
HIM: You're gay
HER: What's wrong with being gay

They all insisted this was a homophobic incident... and don't find it funny when I stated I'd be more concerned by the lack off her question mark... then followed a rather surreal conversation where I tried to point out asking "What's wrong with being gay" doesn't really constitute being homophobic but was reassured by a head, deputy, welfare officer and a class teacher that it did... "he said you're gay and she's responded what's wrong with that" we accept that, but she's still "involved"... quickly followed by any respect I had for the school flying out of the window...

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
This seems a no brainer to me. Insist on a meeting with the head and the teacher. Not just teacher on her own as she will say anything to shut you up and then tell lies after. Become a nuisance if you have to, it's the only way sometimes. shoot teachers are often allowed to get away with all sorts if the head is busy, lazy or incompetent. If you got a brick wall with the head, its the governers next.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It does really beg the question of what is a lesson on one subject doing being used as somewhere for homework for other subjects to be undertaken. is ICT part of the curriculum or not.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It does really beg the question of what is a lesson on one subject doing being used as somewhere for homework for other subjects to be undertaken. is ICT part of the curriculum or not.
Yes but often only in the grudging central-government-says-we-must-teach-this sense, as a core/key/basic subject that students aren't allowed to drop completely, with the resulting underclass of demoralised, journeyman, novice and/or not-trusted-with-main-exam-students teachers teaching them and being given the bare minimum of support by the subject heads.

(I taught key subject maths for over a year and left basically when I gave up on ever starting the promised on-the-job teacher qualification process at that institution, although that wasn't the only reason. I knew the subject well enough and had taught but wasn't qualified at that level and I now suspect my main asset for the job was a clean full criminal records check.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom