Standard pedals orClipless???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
yep, clipless are sort of like stabilisers for the feet, once you can ride properly you don't need them anymore :whistle:
MacB, could you expand on that a bit please. I am sure the point has gone right over my head.
You see MacB here says that people who's pedal motion which on the upstroke imparts less than 200 grams of downwards pressure on the pedal during parts of the upstroke (because they have a very efficient pedalling motion & actually pedal in circles rather than push down on the pedals to varying degrees) don't have any coordination & can't cycle properly. :rolleyes:

Cubist

Still wavin'
MacB, could you expand on that a bit please. I am sure the point has gone right over my head.
MacB is a bit of a heretic when it comes to clipless pedals.
icon_twisted.gif
He has all sorts of evidence and arguments that fly in the face of using them, saying, for example that they don't improve pedal efficiency, and those of us that use them have been effectively suckered into parting with our hard earned cash by the marketing hype. It hasn't quite reached helmet thread standards though....he'll be along in a minute with a link to an article that he once read that agrees with everything he's saying. .......

......and we all know it's really 'cos he's scared of falling off and hurting himself!:biggrin:

screenman

Legendary Member
Surely being clipped into SPD allows you to pull up as well as push down, now that one will get things going. Mind you I hear there are still people on 5 speed who are convinced 6 will never catch on, index levers no way :tongue:

Have fun and keep pedalling.

It's a matter of choice and what you feel comfortable with.

I've ridden both but my preference is flats. A set of good pedals, like Burgtec Penthouse Flats and FiveTen shoes and you're away.

Works for me.

screenman

Legendary Member
I suppose it depends on what type of riding you intend to do as well, I do not know of any racing cyclist using flats, I think Kelly was the last to use them and he retired in 1994.

You takes your choice wooden rims or carbon fibre, black and white tv or colour.

Personally I feel and so do all professional riders that being clipped into something like SPD is the way to go. No slipping and sliding on a wet pedal.

Norm

I suppose it depends on what type of riding you intend to do as well, I do not know of any racing cyclist using flats, I think Kelly was the last to use them and he retired in 1994.

You takes your choice wooden rims or carbon fibre, black and white tv or colour.

Personally I feel and so do all professional riders that being clipped into something like SPD is the way to go. No slipping and sliding on a wet pedal.
Which is very interesting, but of limited relevance to the question which was about casual (as opposed to competitive) MTB riding rather than road racing.

screenman

Legendary Member
Lots of professional cross country MTB riders about, none of them ride flats I bet, now why would that be?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Lots of professional cross country MTB riders about, none of them ride flats I bet, now why would that be?

I'm going to take a wild stab at the reason being the highlighted word - now, much as I can vibrantly feel your admiration over the screen, I can assure you I'm about as far from professional as it's possible for a cyclist to be. I also use the combo mentioned by Silver Fox, pinned platforms and stealth rubber soled footwear. I don't suffer from my feet slipping and I don't lack power other than for the obvious fitness reasons - or I should say the power I can lay down is adequate for my needs.

I like that I can ride in any footwear and I'm competent enough to be able to make sure my feet stay on the pedals. Don't feel bad that you can't do the same but try to get beyond 'hating' :whistle:

screenman

Legendary Member
I sometimes ride flats popping up to the shops and things like that, however should we stand in the path of progress and maybe that is what the OP wants to do.

How much rough off road do you do trying to keep up with friends on the technical sections, do you intend to progress, do you like new or newer technology, are you a flat cap a slippers brigade. All questions that maybe we should have asked.

deaksie

I always ride basic shimano clipless, no cage, no messing about, just works for me and I miss them if I ride flat pedals. you can still stand on the clipless pedals if you have to for a short time but I find I'm clipped in more and more.
I'm 100% mtb, I ride all year round, all terrain, mainly off road, regardless of weather - what's wet weather gear for unless you ride when it's hailing?
good luck and enjoy your riding
thumbsup.png

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I sometimes ride flats popping up to the shops and things like that, however should we stand in the path of progress and maybe that is what the OP wants to do.

How much rough off road do you do trying to keep up with friends on the technical sections, do you intend to progress, do you like new or newer technology, are you a flat cap a slippers brigade. All questions that maybe we should have asked.

not standing in the way of anything, merely supplying an alternate view rather than the, clipless best thing since sliced bread night and day difference you'll suddenly improve by 100mph and clipless moments are only funny never painful or dangerous....... A little reading on the net will turn up plenty of MTBers that have moved back from clipless to flat, you'll also find some that vary between the two depending on what they're doing. My own reading would indicate that those moving back to, or sticking with, flats tend to be those just doing it for fun. Possibly riding with like minded people or taking their families out on trails etc. Basically an entire world that exists outside of the racing fraternity.

Friends? what are these things you speak of?

I think you'll be able to class me as the long ride, multi surface, avoiding anything to steep or tricky, type.

The OP should go with what they want based on their needs and info gleaned, I'm just broadening the amount of info :whistle:

Top Bottom