Standard pedals orClipless???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blue Scouser85

Hello All!

I'm relatively new to MTB'ing and have only been out properly once, up in the peaks! Whilst I was out I did have to put my feet down a fair bit and also had to get off the bike in one section to walk down, but to be fair so did one of the lads who has been doing this for a while, rock was too steep and too wet, the guy who went down took a nice tumble off the edge, lucky for him a gorse bush saved him and his bike haha

Sorry to stray off, yeah if I wear clipless will that mean more falls with the bike on top of me, or will if force me to get better and just cycle on? I have used clipless on the road and they do generate more power and I find them more comfortable for feet position, just concerned that out on the hills I might bite off more than I can chew with them?

Cubist

Still wavin'
There are advantages to clipless pedals while off roading. I ride clipless and have done more or less since I started. The trick is to be able to unclip subconsciously, so that being attached to the bike doesn't become a disadvantage. Hops, step ups, step downs, ruts, steep downhills all are better (for me) if I'm clipped in, and not likely to slip off the pedals.

Give it a go, and see whether you like it. For some the worry of clipless moments puts them off riding technical features, and so it's best to develop an amount of confidence before you do.

GrasB

Veteran
There's no reason not to especially if you've developed a really good pedal motion (I had no end of foot slips with flat pedals as I almost completely unload the pedal on the upstroke). With SPDs I find I can lift the bike with my feet which has allowed me to get out of ruts sideways & lift the back wheel up to very precisely place it where I wanted.

As Cubist said it's a case of suck it & see. One thing to keep in mind is don't try using road cleats on your MTB for testing out.

Clipless, gives you more power to the rear wheel when you want it, and as GrasB has said it allows you more control of the bike, being more able to lift and bounce the bike about the trail. Most clipless moment happen do to a slip of memory, and you forget to un-clip, can be so embrassing.

screenman

Legendary Member
I ride clipless and have done since I cannot remember. Now taking slightly off topic is it not amazing what trials riders can do on flats, bunny hop 3 feet and all that stuff.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I ride clipless and have done since I cannot remember. Now taking slightly off topic is it not amazing what trials riders can do on flats, bunny hop 3 feet and all that stuff.

yep, clipless are sort of like stabilisers for the feet, once you can ride properly you don't need them anymore :whistle:

Norm

"best" is personal choice and will be affected by many factors. I have the clip/flat pedals on my commuter but the road bike just has clips, as I am more likely to be slowed or stopped on the commuter. My MTB has flats.

screenman

Legendary Member
MacB, could you expand on that a bit please. I am sure the point has gone right over my head.

Zoiders

Clipless with a cage/platform offers the best of both world's so you can ride unclipped in technical sections where a stall could easily turn into a bail out.

If you only pootle on the less dicey sections or fire road then you will not have a problem with stand alone SPD's though.

screenman

Legendary Member
I prefer to be fully clipped in on technical sections, no chance of slipping off the pedal and more control through the bike.

Zoiders

I prefer to be fully clipped in on technical sections, no chance of slipping off the pedal and more control through the bike.
It depends on how you define technical.

Trials riders tend not to ride clipped in either, some stuff of course being clipped in is better, especialy single track, on the other hand some obstacles I have ridden you want to unclip before hand, a good caged platform SPD pedal is not to be sniffed at.

Best of both worlds.

OP
OP
B

Blue Scouser85

It depends on how you define technical.

Trials riders tend not to ride clipped in either, some stuff of course being clipped in is better, especialy single track, on the other hand some obstacles I have ridden you want to unclip before hand, a good caged platform SPD pedal is not to be sniffed at.

Best of both worlds.

Yeah thats what i think i'm going to get, i've seen the shimano ones with a resin like cage around them think they're m424's

screenman

Legendary Member
In all my years of racing cross and mountain bike I have never seen anyone on double sided pedals, a lot now are on egg beaters and the like. Trials riders tend to ride on flat pedals with no clip in attachment, that said anyone want to buy a nice trials bike as we have one here for sale.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Yeah thats what i think i'm going to get, i've seen the shimano ones with a resin like cage around them think they're m424's
Resin cages can be fragile I'm told.

These are a bit more money, but shed mud better with an anodised alu surround.
http://www.chainreac...px?ModelID=4516
4516.jpg

I have these for trail riding:
http://www.chainreac...spx?ModelID=771
771.jpg

and they have pop-up spd section for faster/easier engagement.

Top Bottom