1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Standing on one pedal...

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Maz, 16 Aug 2007.

1. Maz

Maz Guru

Is there a technique to this? I always seem so unstable. The old boys at my work seem to do this with consumate ease, then straddling the top-tube in one graceful movement and ride off.
    They leave me floundering, trying to clip in!
    I want to do this to get past maingate without making a 'complete' dismount...they have 'cyclists dismount' signs cos they won't raise the barrier for us...a long wrangle I've been having with them!

2. smiorgan

smiorgan New Member

Look at the oldest thread in the cyclocross area of this forum - may be just the technique you are after?

3. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

4. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

it really isn't hard...

5. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

Which MUST mean it is! :ohmy:

6. Maz

Maz Guru

I bet it's harder in cleats.

7. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

It's not difficult. Well, I never thought it was as I've been able to do it for as long as I can remember and so can't remember learning. But I suppose it might be hard for those who have never tried it before.

It changes the balance of the bike, so I find that you have to lean it towards you more to counter this. It just takes practice.

8. trustysteed

trustysteed Guest

in cleats, it's easier to stand astride the crossbar, clip one foot in then use that to push down on the pedal while pushing off the ground with the other, clipping the other in quickly while you've got the momentum.

9. Oldlegs

Oldlegs Frogs are people too.

You could try practicing the dismount first. Its a lot easier when you are coasting along not having to try and balance a very slow moving bike. The knack is the same both ways.

10. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It! Staff Member

Deffo not for cleats !

11. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Practice is the only real answer, but I don't find it a problem. However be reasonbly low on the speed when first trying it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Wobbly John

Wobbly John Veteran

It's not easy if you're riding a fixie :ohmy:

13. Brock

Brock Senior Member

Yes it is.. At least this bloke thinks so.
    But what about if you're riding a tandem? :blush:
    (youtube links)

14. yenrod

yenrod Guest

Its a one movement situation this: not good with cliplees pedals though :blush:

Leading on from this:

I often, on rides, find myself leaning on one pedals on a slight downhill, like, having a rest...

Anyone else do this ?

15. bobg

bobg Über Member

"I often, on rides, find myself leaning on one pedals on a slight downhill, like, having a rest...

Anyone else do this ?"

Yes, never thought about it before, after in depth analysis, I think it takes the weight off one bum cheek...