Standing on one pedal...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Is there a technique to this? I always seem so unstable. The old boys at my work seem to do this with consumate ease, then straddling the top-tube in one graceful movement and ride off.
They leave me floundering, trying to clip in!
I want to do this to get past maingate without making a 'complete' dismount...they have 'cyclists dismount' signs cos they won't raise the barrier for us...a long wrangle I've been having with them!

smiorgan

Look at the oldest thread in the cyclocross area of this forum - may be just the technique you are after?

in cleats, it's easier to stand astride the crossbar, clip one foot in then use that to push down on the pedal while pushing off the ground with the other, clipping the other in quickly while you've got the momentum.

Oldlegs

Frogs are people too.
You could try practicing the dismount first. Its a lot easier when you are coasting along not having to try and balance a very slow moving bike. The knack is the same both ways.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Deffo not for cleats !

yenrod

Its a one movement situation this: not good with cliplees pedals though :blush:

Leading on from this:

I often, on rides, find myself leaning on one pedals on a slight downhill, like, having a rest...

Anyone else do this ?

Maz said:
Is there a technique to this? I always seem so unstable. The old boys at my work seem to do this with consumate ease, then straddling the top-tube in one graceful movement and ride off.
They leave me floundering, trying to clip in!
I want to do this to get past maingate without making a 'complete' dismount...they have 'cyclists dismount' signs cos they won't raise the barrier for us...a long wrangle I've been having with them!

bobg

Über Member
"I often, on rides, find myself leaning on one pedals on a slight downhill, like, having a rest...

Anyone else do this ?"

Yes, never thought about it before, after in depth analysis, I think it takes the weight off one bum cheek...

Top Bottom