Stanton Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ciar

Veteran
Hi,

thinking of either full bike or chopping out my frame and replacing with the Stanton Sherpa, never heard anything negative about them so very tempted to pop one in the cart and be done with it :smile:

any opinions happily accepted.

The Sherpa is a great XC bike,but I would be more tempted to go for the Switchback.
Slacker Geo means more scope for a longer travel fork,thus if you want to hit some off piste for a bit more aggressive XC rides and hitting downhills a lot more confidently
Good choice on the brand incidentally.
That all being said,the Sherpa is a very capable Trail bike.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ciar

Ciar

Veteran
The Sherpa is a great XC bike,but I would be more tempted to go for the Switchback.
Slacker Geo means more scope for a longer travel fork,thus if you want to hit some off piste for a bit more aggressive XC rides and hitting downhills a lot more confidently
Good choice on the brand incidentally.
That all being said,the Sherpa is a very capable Trail bike.

Currently rolling around on a Scott Scale 970 29 XC bike upgraded forks to rock shox xc 30 100mm travel and both brakes upgraded to shimano XT and switched to a shorter stem and slightly wider bars, but the bike has never felt comfortable feels like i am sitting on top rather than inside, admittedly it's done Epping with ease as you would expect and swinley, even Afan for 3 days all trails and a few blue trails and bike park wales, but i really want a bike i feel more in control of, slightly less twitchy and tank like.

my idea having spoken to Stanton and the guy was really helpful was to go for frame and move all bits over, will have a look at the switchback, but i like the idea i can run 29r wheels and move to 27.5+ if i fancy it.

OP
OP
Ciar

Ciar

Veteran
Are you going for speed rather than jumps,tight technical stuff and twisty DH ?
If so,the 29er Sherpa is the obvious choice

Interesting question i like going fast, in general the style of riding that i enjoy is Afan that's me nothing too extreme has all sorts of riding bit of easy DH jumps you can roll twisty turny, bit old to be breaking bones to be honest at 44 :smile: the wife would probably break more if i did!

OP
OP
Ciar

Ciar

Veteran
I just read up on the switchback as well now, it's painful as for the cost of the full switchback i could pick up a bouncy bike, but if it's just the sherpa frame i could upgrade nicely with not the biggest of outlays, dillemas dillemas!

i do like the sounds of longer travel on the switchback as well.

Nah,Sherpa will be ab fab for what you want to do with it.I agree,the Switchback is a big outlay,and needs to be treated as a bike that merits the price tag.i.e.thrashed off piste regularly.
Although I imagine that it behaves itself in a straight line too.
Without sounding cheeky,I would not run a XC30 fork on it,as it would not stand up to much.
Good choice would be a Reba or Revelation

Motozulu

Über Member
And I know I'm biased as I have one - but a cheaper and just as capable a bike is the Bird Zero frame. Awesome frame which when coupled with the 140mm Sweeps on it will tackle virtually anything I throw it at and yet is a very fast and light bike.

Stantons are lovely but you don't half pay for the 'privilege' of owning one. So unless you are sold on the Stanton - have a look at the Zero.

Just my 2 pen'orth worth, loike

OP
OP
Ciar

Ciar

Veteran
I have looked at the bird previously they are a tasty looking bike :smile: might have to investigate again as you are right i have only generally heard good things about their HT's

still mooching as i am waiting on getting Xmas out the way before i splurge!

Motozulu

Über Member
I went for a test ride around Swinley and absolutely loved the bike - it was a no brainer. Spoke at length to the owners too (great blokes and proper bikers). For the money you pay you get a fantastic deal and a very capable bike. I love the Stantons but I wasn't prepared to pay the money they wanted for a bike that's no better than the Bird, IMO.

OP
OP
Ciar

Ciar

Veteran
I went for a test ride around Swinley and absolutely loved the bike - it was a no brainer. Spoke at length to the owners too (great blokes and proper bikers). For the money you pay you get a fantastic deal and a very capable bike. I love the Stantons but I wasn't prepared to pay the money they wanted for a bike that's no better than the Bird, IMO.

good to know i am currently banging around on a scott scale 970 which i have done a fair bit on, but never felt overly happy with it. at 6ft does it matter that they run 27.5b or is that a fallacy about the 29r being for tall people?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Have you looked at a Ragley Mmmbop? Bit cheaper than a Stanton, but good write ups.

Top Bottom