Stanton Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
No hardtail discussion would be complete without a mention of the Cotic Soul.......

Cubist

Still wavin'
If you listen to Cy he'll tell you the Soul is every bit as robust, just more expensive for the 853 tubing. Can't find the limits on mine. I've tried it with 120 and 140 forks, and I'm a blundering Clydesdale on a lot of rocky stuff. With the Thors it was phenomenal, but they suit the C456 even better (travel adjust for climbing)

Cubist

Still wavin'
The Soul is a bit of an "all things to all riders" type of thing. I've currently got mine set up with 120 Reba and Crests, 2x10 and carbon bars, standard post, as a bit of a bridle way rambler, and the C456 as a 1x10 hooligan with Thor, Arch Ex and a Reverb. Both would do perfectly well the other way round, but the C456 is a bit harsh for all day stuff. The Soul on the other hand is sublimely comfortable and can still be pushed at it stands. Might ask Santa for another Reverb just to complete the package......

Motozulu

Über Member
good to know i am currently banging around on a scott scale 970 which i have done a fair bit on, but never felt overly happy with it. at 6ft does it matter that they run 27.5b or is that a fallacy about the 29r being for tall people?
I know lots of 'short' lads who are happy on a 29er, so I don't think it's set in stone - I myself prefer the 27.5 (I'm 5'9) again though - test ride.

Motozulu

Über Member
Let's be honest @Cubist ,Cotic have nailed it with the HT's.I didn't know the Soul could take a 140mm fork with ease.Nice one
I would love to try their full sus jobbie :smile:
They have indeed, but so have other companies, good thing for the OP is that there are plenty of really, really good HT's out there - all down to what budget you have, tbh. For 1,300 quid though, the Bird Zero will take on anything. It saved my financial arse as I was indeed about to splash a lot more than that on a Cotic or a Stanton. :smile:

They have indeed, but so have other companies, good thing for the OP is that there are plenty of really, really good HT's out there - all down to what budget you have, tbh. For 1,300 quid though, the Bird Zero will take on anything. It saved my financial arse as I was indeed about to splash a lot more than that on a Cotic or a Stanton. :smile:

A good point you make,and the Bird range is indeed great value for money.
I have a Dartmoor Hornet,£185 for the frame and dressed up in what I consider trail worthy bits and bobs.I love it and it takes on everything.
I think the reason that Cotic's,Stanton's and Pipedream etc,are more expensive,is that they are made from the highest quality steels.
In other words,more expensive to buy and manufacture.You know this of course.
As an aside,my dad was a sheet metal worker,mainly working on heating and ventilation ducts made of Alloy.
But he also worked with steel piping,and said Alloys required more know how when it came to welding them both.
And yes,the range of brilliant HT's you can buy,customised or off the peg, goes in to the hundreds :biggrin:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ciar

Ciar

Veteran
Absolutely.
Although the Bfe (for me) is more versatile.
Bfe too much for the OP though ?

just a tad the BFE for that frame mentioned was a £1000, im looking for something i can swap the best parts from my current bike over to a new frame :smile:

or go buy a bouncy bike as i don't have one of those yet, currently sitting at two bikes the HT and the commuter which itself is a couple of months old, my dream is upgrade current HT or buy all round bouncy bike and add a single speed for commuting just because i can.

I also have a midschool BMX frame forks stem and handlebars which needs building into a bike sitting in the loft, just picking up parts as i browse fleabay!

the wife still doesnt understand that they all do different things though ;-)

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
I sold my Soul ( Cotic ) last year and then 6 months later did a 300 mile round trip to buy it back. It is one of the original batch and quite battered now from some serious abuse, but its still my weapon of choice, just at home zipping thru woody Surrey singletrack as bouncing down Cavedale rockfest in the Peaks.

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
There you go, one whole heap of fun.

Attachments

• 11864803_836965283089519_2914803919238125836_o.jpg
    11864803_836965283089519_2914803919238125836_o.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 73
Top Bottom