Star-fangled nut

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
A simple question for someone to answer: How do you remove a star-fangled nut once it's been fitted? (without destroying it or the steerer tube!)

walker

I'm sure this is a job for a LBS. I might be wrong

hubgearfreak

Über Member
i'd start with a 7mm drill, then work up through bigger drill bits, until the outer teeth are all that's left and they'll drop out

Most steerers are internally butted at the crown so it wont just fall out, you have to drill it out. Like what hubgearfreek sed.

I dont use a fangle nut or a top cap. I use a Hope Hed-doctor to cinch up the headset then remove it all together.

simonali

Guru
My bikes a little heavier since I knocked mine down too far before cutting the steerer and had to use a longer bolt! I was just glad I had said bolt!!

As mentioned above, my forks have no hole at the bottom of the steerer except a small one that I assume is to allow water to escape.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
Well, thanks for all those suggestions. I think either drilling it out or knocking it down a little further and putting a new one on top are the best options - that's what is says on the ParkTools website too!

Anyone had good experiences with the Hope Hed Doctor? If expander plugs are so good, why do most headset still come with a star nut (except for Carbon Steerers)? What are the advantages?

andygates

Extra income to the nice lads at Hope. There's no real advantage except the inelegance of the star nut, unless you have carbon.

02GF74

Über Member
^^^ interesting - always seen that carbon steerer must not be fitted with the star-fangled nut.

the arms on the nut are hardened spring steel so if you can get at it from below, you can break the nut with a drift.

but a drill/grinding stone sould do it too.

bonj2

02GF74 said:
^^^ interesting - always seen that carbon steerer must not be fitted with the star-fangled nut.

the arms on the nut are hardened spring steel so if you can get at it from below, you can break the nut with a drift.

but a drill/grinding stone sould do it too.

Prob'ly still true. Just 'cos halfords do it, doesn't mean it's ok! A little thing like it not being recommended wouldn't be likely to present an obstacle to them doing it if it meant they could cut their manufacturing costs. Look at their hybrids - radial wheels and disk brakes. Euggh.

Top Bottom