Started cycling and am getting fatter... WTF

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

celking

Regular
Check your diet once again as I think the problem may be the amount of fructose you consume. You probably already know that fructose is a simple sugar that is found in fruit mostly and that the body metabolizes it differently from other sugar types and too much overloads the liver leading to problems. One such problem is gout.

Again, thanks for the response and the info but I have been eating a lot of fruit for quite a while now and haven't had a problem because of it. I was in Thailand recently and because the fruit there is so good/cheap it's more or less all I ate in addition to papaya salad and rice paper rolls and I lost a load of weight despite eating 2000 cals + per day!

I would also like to point out that believing Strava about how many calories you have used is something you should stop. It's notoriously wrong.

I have lost count of the amount of posts on here where people have compared 2 different apps doing the same ride and the calorie useage has been wildly different.
Record or identify calorie burn data on several devices and select the one with the most is the recognised method for such things :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Again, thanks for the response and the info but I have been eating a lot of fruit for quite a while now and haven't had a problem because of it. I was in Thailand recently and because the fruit there is so good/cheap it's more or less all I ate in addition to papaya salad and rice paper rolls and I lost a load of weight despite eating 2000 cals + per day!
Sure the bloating isn't due to a parasite?

jefmcg

Guru
Just because you are losing weight does not necessarily mean you are getting healthier.

There's very little protein in that diet. Your body needs protein for repair. If it doesn't get it from diet, it will cannibalise your muscles and eventually your organs to supply it.

On the diet you describe, you could easily be losing more lean tissue than fat.

OP
OP
C

celking

Regular
Just because you are losing weight does not necessarily mean you are getting healthier.

There's very little protein in that diet. Your body needs protein for repair. If it doesn't get it from diet, it will cannibalise your muscles and eventually your organs to supply it.

On the diet you describe, you could easily be losing more lean tissue than fat.

I have protein shakes on the days that I cycle

jefmcg

Guru
I have protein shakes on the days that I cycle
I'm not sure why you think you only need protein on the days you cycle, or why you want to get that protein from "shakes" rather than "food", which seem opposed to a natural food idea, which most vegans I know adhere to.

You might find this article interesting. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/recreational-cycling/how-to-eat-like-a-tour-de-france-cyclist/

It's notably not vegan (even mentions honey!) but they vary carbs depending on the amount of work they do. Protein, I assume, is more constant.

Our bodies replace cells constantly. That requires protein. True, some of the protein from replaced cells will be recycled, but at the very least, they will be topped up. Have a look at this http://book.bionumbers.org/how-quickly-do-different-cells-in-the-body-replace-themselves/. You are replacing cells every day. If there is not enough protein in your diet to replace essentials cells, your body is going to find it somewhere.

Last edited:
Top Bottom