Started cycling and am getting fatter... WTF

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
So I've been researching this A LOT online and looks like it could be water retention from having drastically increased the frequency and intensity of my workouts.. Going from doing little exercise apart from walking/the odd gym visit to two and a half hours per day of intense cycling literally overnight has caused muscle tears all over my body and a bad case of DOMS so my body is retaining water while my muscles are being repaired, causing the soreness I feel all over and the weight gain. Also there is the increased glycogen storage. Seems to make sense and the sources I have read say it's totally normal when starting a new exercise regime and should go away in a couple of weeks time.. Phew! I'm going to keep cycling :smile:

Hope the above explanation helps someone who may be in the same (distressing) position and reading this
Or you could be pregnant or have an underlying condition: to the Doctor's with you! :okay:

OP
OP
C

celking

Regular
Or you could be pregnant or have an underlying condition: to the Doctor's with you! :okay:

That would be an immaculate conception.. Don't know whether to laugh or cry ha ha ha...

I will give it a couple more weeks then see a doctor if it hasn't gone away. :smile: Thanks for everyone's replies

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I would also like to point out that believing Strava about how many calories you have used is something you should stop. It's notoriously wrong.

I have lost count of the amount of posts on here where people have compared 2 different apps doing the same ride and the calorie useage has been wildly different.

OP
OP
C

celking

Regular
As you are vegan, make sure you are getting plenty of protein to rebuild those muscle fibres.

You could be onto something with that comment.. I eat very little overt protein I just eat what is in my plant based diet like rice, greens, fruit etc. Although recently like over the last couple of days I have been having a protein shake daily.

How much protein should I be eating cycling 30 miles a day? It's not a huge amount I know but it is over some steep, steep hills and either side of a long working day, plus I'm new to cycling!

midlife

Guru
You could be onto something with that comment.. I eat very little overt protein I just eat what is in my plant based diet like rice, greens, fruit etc. Although recently like over the last couple of days I have been having a protein shake daily.

How much protein should I be eating cycling 30 miles a day? It's not a huge amount I know but it is over some steep, steep hills and either side of a long working day, plus I'm new to cycling!

60 grammes a day seems to ring a bell, gluconeogenesis can tackle excess protein to an extent so only a rough guide.

Shaun

vickster

Legendary Member
For me, 30 calories per mile is a decent estimate over mixed terrain for an average weight rider at reasonable speeds. So around 700 perhaps for the OP

OP
OP
C

celking

Regular
You're taking on more calories than you are burning. We think of fruit and wholegrain organic rice as the 'healthy' option, but sugar is sugar and carbs are carbs. Reduce your calorific intake by replacing fruit with vegetables and cutting way back on the pasta and rice and you'll lose weight. It worked for me.

I put on weight when I first started cycling because I totally bought into the idea of 'carb-loading' and constantly eating on rides, when in fact I was really just pottering about and not burning off all the extra calories. I think unless people are competing seriously there isn't really any need to alter their normal diet at all. And the idea of burning 1000 calories per ride is a bit OTT, as Hill Wimp says.

Totally get what you're saying but I know that I'm not taking in too many calories.. I'm very strict with my diet. In the mornings when I wake up I'll have a banana, when I get into work after ride no.1 I'll have a bowl of fruit and yoghurt with a few spoonfuls of oats, then I'll have a slice of toast mid morning, some fruit at lunch followed by a big serving of vegetables with a small serving of carbohydrates (eg. Butternut squash, rice, potato) for dinners after ride no.2. And I never claimed to burn 1000 calories per ride, more like 500 per ride but doing that twice per day.. Something just isn't adding up. I have always eaten a lot - you kinda have to when you're vegan - yet I've never felt so tubby

OP
OP
C

celking

Regular
For me, 30 calories per mile is a decent estimate over mixed terrain for an average weight rider at reasonable speeds. So around 700 perhaps for the OP

840 actually :tongue: - I have five STEEP hills both ways to go up - it ain't an easy ride!

vickster

Legendary Member
You don't weigh much though :smile:

Where do you get protein from in actual food form?

Go see the dr, sounds like fluid retention for whatever reason. Period related?

midlife

Guru
If you are putting on weight then the calories going in are more than you are burning for fuel............ Unless you have something like Kwashiorkor syndrome.

You seem to eat more than I do :biggrin:

Shaun

OP
OP
C

celking

Regular
You don't weigh much though :smile:

Where do you get protein from in actual food form?

Go see the dr, sounds like fluid retention for whatever reason. Period related?

I probably do now!! I'm too scared to step on the scales lol.

Definitely fluid retention I have come to that conclusion now... All my rings are tight and everything. Could be period related I suppose but it's hard to tell. It really sucks though cos water weight just looks like fat. I actually cried this morning while getting dressed cos I didn't want to leave the house looking and feeling so gross.. So frustrating when I'm working so hard on my diet and exercise - kick in the teeth from my body! Xx

OP
OP
C

celking

Regular
If you are putting on weight then the calories going in are more than you are burning for fuel............ Unless you have something like Kwashiorkor syndrome.

You seem to eat more than I do :biggrin:

Shaun

There are factors other than just calories in vs calories out though... Do you mean in volume or calories?

Top Bottom