Started cycling and am getting fatter... WTF

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
There are factors other than just calories in vs calories out though... Do you mean in volume or calories?

What I suggest is that if you take in less available calories than you are using then the body will look at burning reserves to keep you going; be that glycogen, fat, protein/muscle, ketones etc.

Shaun

OP
OP
C

celking

Regular
True, you did say Strava says 1000 calories per day not per ride, my mistake. However, you are eating more on cycling days than on non-cycling days, and you probably don't need to be doing that, in my opinion.

I get starving hungry though. Like ravenous! I don't mean snack attacks - true hunger pangs where my stomach is going crazy rumbling like mad - it's impossible to not eat but I am careful about the choices I make..

Strava says I go up 680 feet during each ride - is that a lot?

I do take strava calculations with a pinch is salt but every calorie counter I use says I'm burning between 900 and 1100 per day on top of my BMR, so I'm sorry but I just don't think it's possible that it's because of eating too much.. 1400 (BMR) + 900 (lowest possible end of cals burned from cycling) = 2300 so I should be at the very most maintaining rather than piling it on..?

I am going to see what effect a few days of rest has as I honestly feel like it's swelling. I'm also really achey all over my body especially my stomach and thighs which are the main places that I am swollen in..

OP
OP
C

celking

Regular
What I suggest is that if you take in less available calories than you are using then the body will look at burning reserves to keep you going; be that glycogen, fat, protein/muscle, ketones etc.

Shaun

Yeah I know but I think I am doing that already or at least taking in the same as I'm burning. I have always been very careful with food/nutrition so know what I'm taking in.. Shouldn't be piling it on like j have been :sad:

Your body shape maybe changing rather than weight gain so to speak.

Cycling vs spinning could be the difference? Cycling could be using muscles at a lower HR and that could be acting as resistance training for your legs and doing nothing for your upper body. Spinning on the other hand is typically fast paced and more aerobic (possibly even HIIT like) so does not add muscle but makes you feel fitter.

I am 5ft 7 and weigh about 11stone and find that I need about 1700 calories a day to maintain my weight. My body is accustomed to cycling so doesn't burn as many calories as it is efficient at it compared to someone doing the same but new to cycling.

Last edited:
Definitely fluid retention I have come to that conclusion now... All my rings are tight and everything.
I'm with everyone else. Edema can have serious underlying causes including heart failure. See a doctor!
Yeah I know but I think I am doing that already or at least taking in the same as I'm burning. I have always been very careful with food/nutrition so know what I'm taking in.. Shouldn't be piling it on like j have been :sad:
How much protein are you getting a day? And fat? I am no expert on a vegan diet (or nutrition, generally), but this doesn't seem to have much of either. Maybe add some nuts, avocado, tofu ....
I'm very strict with my diet. In the mornings when I wake up I'll have a banana, when I get into work after ride no.1 I'll have a bowl of fruit and yoghurt with a few spoonfuls of oats, then I'll have a slice of toast mid morning, some fruit at lunch followed by a big serving of vegetables with a small serving of carbohydrates

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You could be onto something with that comment.. I eat very little overt protein I just eat what is in my plant based diet like rice, greens, fruit etc. Although recently like over the last couple of days I have been having a protein shake daily.

How much protein should I be eating cycling 30 miles a day? It's not a huge amount I know but it is over some steep, steep hills and either side of a long working day, plus I'm new to cycling!
I'm surprised that you don't mention such obvious sources of 'vegan-safe' protein as lentils, kidney beans and chickpeas! I'm vegetarian rather than vegan and I eat a portion of them (or similar foodstuffs) nearly every day.

It really sucks though cos water weight just looks like fat. I actually cried this morning while getting dressed cos I didn't want to leave the house looking and feeling so gross.. So frustrating when I'm working so hard on my diet and exercise - kick in the teeth from my body! Xx
I can see why you are concerned and frustrated at your efforts apparently not helping you, but it is worrying that you are so hard on yourself. You clearly are not really overweight but it sounds like you are reacting as if you had suddenly become morbidly obese. In fact, even if you were morbidly obese I would say that thinking that you are 'gross' is not being very kind to yourself.

If you just tweak your diet a bit and keep up the exercise then you should end up fit and healthy. See if you can relax and trust that everything will settle down soon. It wouldn't hurt to check with your doctor, but I bet that they will say something very similar to you.

Anyway - good luck, and keep on cycling! :okay:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It is not the cycling that is making you fatter. Cycling takes calories away from you.

You are getting fatter because you are putting either too much, or the wrong food in your mouth. Nothing to do with cycling.

I think it has something to do with Carbon - hydrates or is that a new bike from Planet X?

OP
OP
C

celking

Regular
It is not the cycling that is making you fatter. Cycling takes calories away from you.

You are getting fatter because you are putting either too much, or the wrong food in your mouth. Nothing to do with cycling.

I think it has something to do with Carbon - hydrates or is that a new bike from Planet X?

Thanks for your response however I thought I would give an update...

... Looks like this was just a really bad case of DOMS having gone from doing zero cycling to 100 miles per week (it's a hard ride with lots of hills and always heavy winds!). The swelling was just water retention and I know this because I was in pain and very swollen all weekend but after a few rest days and getting back on the bike yesterday and today, the pain has gone down and so has the swelling, and I am looking slimmer. Need to add that I have NOT changed my diet and am still eating the same amount (2000-2500 cals per day) as I was when I was experiencing the weight gain. My stomach is still pretty puffed up BUT my abs hurt like crazy so I know that's water retention too.

For anyone who's interested or worried/upset because they're experiencing the same new thing after just starting cycling, it's totally normal to retain 4-5lbs of water after you start a new, intense (relative to what you were doing before) exercise regime because A) your muscles are put under a lot of stress and need to heal which causes inflammation and swelling and B) your muscles store glycogen and along with glycogen they also store water. This is common and normal and means that there you are getting stronger, fitter, leaner and your metabolic rate is increasing... So try not to beat yourself up like I did :smile:

Travs

Glad you're feeling better about yourself and seemingly getting to the root of the issue.
A couple of other things to consider if you want (otherwise ignore if you feel not relevant) - static cycling uses very little upper body and core for stability; the bike doesn't fall over.
I do a fair proportion of riding on a wattbike in the gym and although it's great for analysis and feedback etc it's amazing how much my upper body hurts when I do go out. Triceps, shoulders, intercostals were all very sore as a result of holding myself, keeping balance and working the bike (especially out of the saddle on hills or sprinting for town signs). This throws up 2 issues:
1) You may find that clothes are tighter as your arms, core and back change a little. Embrace this by the way - much healthier.
2) Despite this, cycling doesn't naturally hit the abs and they can "hang" loose. Maybe worth doing the odd core exercises to supplement and keep things in form.

As for DOMS, stretching, massaging and foam rolling will really help. So perhaps think of a gentle core/flexibility/stretching/rolling session in the evening when you're winding down in the evening?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Glad your sorted. Also worth bearing in mind that muscle weighs more than fat, unless that's a myth I tell myself, so as you build up your cycling you may put on the odd pound but everything will be firmer.

Oh, and you are pretty normal/ healthy weight for your height.

I don't seen to lose much weight when I increase cycling, but that's because my normal rides include either a breakfast stop or a tea room stop, but that's the way I like it!

OP
OP
C

celking

Regular
Glad you're feeling better about yourself and seemingly getting to the root of the issue.
A couple of other things to consider if you want (otherwise ignore if you feel not relevant) - static cycling uses very little upper body and core for stability; the bike doesn't fall over.
I do a fair proportion of riding on a wattbike in the gym and although it's great for analysis and feedback etc it's amazing how much my upper body hurts when I do go out. Triceps, shoulders, intercostals were all very sore as a result of holding myself, keeping balance and working the bike (especially out of the saddle on hills or sprinting for town signs). This throws up 2 issues:
1) You may find that clothes are tighter as your arms, core and back change a little. Embrace this by the way - much healthier.
2) Despite this, cycling doesn't naturally hit the abs and they can "hang" loose. Maybe worth doing the odd core exercises to supplement and keep things in form.

As for DOMS, stretching, massaging and foam rolling will really help. So perhaps think of a gentle core/flexibility/stretching/rolling session in the evening when you're winding down in the evening?

Thank you :smile: And yes you're totally right about the upper body thing - my abs/arms are SORE from cycling but were never sore from spinning. Oh and my foam roller is my best friend! :smile:

If it's going away and doesn't come back then fine, but I doesn't sound like DOMS to me. I don't think DOMS causes swollen fingers, unless you have really given your hand a workout (@Fnaar :smile: ). I have experienced swollen fingers due to cycling, but that was at the end of 4 days of cycling 18-20 hours a day. I'm not sure what the cause was, but many of the riders experienced it, so I didn't worry about it too much.

FWIW the fluid was mostly in my lower legs, feet and noticeably in my hands. I didn't notice thickening of the waist, but I wasn't noticing much. There was none of the typical feelings of DOMS, just exhaustion. There was at least 5 litres of fluid retained (probably more), as my weight was about 5kg heavier at the end of the ride.
My stomach is still pretty puffed up BUT my abs hurt like crazy so I know that's water retention too.
I have had sore abs, and well recognise the feeling of DOMS, but I have never felt "puffy". The water retained in DOMS in intramuscular, which makes the abs feel noticeably harder and firmer. They don't make your stomach puff up. If you are feeling puffy, that's water stored in other tissues but the muscles.
For anyone who's interested or worried/upset because they're experiencing the same new thing after just starting cycling, it's totally normal to retain 4-5lbs of water after you start a new, intense (relative to what you were doing before)
And this why they tell new exercisers to look in the mirror or see how your clothes fit, rather than at the scales. But your case is different, you notice you were getting bigger, rather than seeing it on the scales. I've never experienced DOMS like that.

ayceejay

Guru
Check your diet once again as I think the problem may be the amount of fructose you consume. You probably already know that fructose is a simple sugar that is found in fruit mostly and that the body metabolizes it differently from other sugar types and too much overloads the liver leading to problems. One such problem is gout.

Top Bottom