Starting again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy Jeffery

Hi All, looking for some advice please guys. Started cycling in September and got upto 120 miles per week but this is when the problems started! I started to get really bad knee pains after 30 or so miles. Stopped for a week or so and went again but more pain. I think I went too hard to fast and over did it. I. Going for a bike fit with Adrian Timmis on the 5th of Feb for a full bike fit with foot beds. I will have been off the bike for over 8 weeks and now feel ready to start again.
Any advice on how training for a beginner to avoid the same happening again would be much appreciated!!
Many thanks
Andy

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you get pain in your knees at any other time and if so, have you seen a doctor about them before you start again?

Fubar

Guru
Hi All, looking for some advice please guys. Started cycling in September and got upto 120 miles per week but this is when the problems started! I started to get really bad knee pains after 30 or so miles. Stopped for a week or so and went again but more pain. I think I went too hard to fast and over did it. I. Going for a bike fit with Adrian Timmis on the 5th of Feb for a full bike fit with foot beds. I will have been off the bike for over 8 weeks and now feel ready to start again.
Any advice on how training for a beginner to avoid the same happening again would be much appreciated!!
Many thanks
Andy

Think you've answered your own question - bike fit, don't go off too fast and far and enjoy being on the bike without trying to break any records. If the pain persists see a medical pro.

Take it easy :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
He should presumably be abl to advise on how to avoid knee pain too. I'd stick to flat routes while getting back into it

OP
OP
Andy Jeffery

Andy Jeffery

Hi All,
Just come back from my bike fit with Adrian Timmis. Fan bloody tastic is all I can say. Turns out the the handle bars needed turning upwards, I was cycling on my toes and Dr has confirmed quad tendon strain. The seat was lowered and push back and up by 2 cms. Well the bike feels totally different my arms are not outstretched my action is more fluid etc etc. can't recommend Cadence sport enough and looking forward to easing into it again slowly this time. Cheers Andy

Peteaud

Veteran
Hi All,
Just come back from my bike fit with Adrian Timmis. Fan bloody tastic is all I can say. Turns out the the handle bars needed turning upwards, I was cycling on my toes and Dr has confirmed quad tendon strain. The seat was lowered and push back and up by 2 cms. Well the bike feels totally different my arms are not outstretched my action is more fluid etc etc. can't recommend Cadence sport enough and looking forward to easing into it again slowly this time. Cheers Andy

Have you got a link.

Top Bottom