Starting on a hill with SPD's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mwktar

Über Member
Hi guys, just wondering if you have any tips on this? I fell again the other day as I needed to stop at the bottom of a hill to let a car through - when I started back I couldn't get my right roadie spd clipped back in in time so SMACK!

Anyone else get this issue? An fairly new
To SPD's (last few months or so) - is this gonna get easier? Or should I just get used to that slow inevitable tumble!

triangles

Über Member
Is this SPD or SPD-SL?

Norry1

Legendary Member
If you are in a really big gear, you can always get off the bike, lift the rear wheel and change down a few gears.

OP
OP
mwktar

mwktar

Über Member
They're SPD-SL - ill give the momentum a try, what I find is I push off, and sometimes the right pedal isn't in the right position, so I either slip off it or panic trying to flip it the right way round.

Luckily it's never when I'm going particularly fast, and passers by seem to find it entertaining :smile:

PK99

Legendary Member
Hi guys, just wondering if you have any tips on this? I fell again the other day as I needed to stop at the bottom of a hill to let a car through - when I started back I couldn't get my right roadie spd clipped back in in time so SMACK!

Anyone else get this issue? An fairly new
To SPD's (last few months or so) - is this gonna get easier? Or should I just get used to that slow inevitable tumble!

Do you mean you could not get your second foot clipped in? Clip in one foot then take a few strokes on the instep with the other foot to get momentum then clip in.

Clip in with one foot whilst still stationary. Then start cycling on that foot, getting moving before clipping in with the other one. If you need to, do some one legged cycling to get the momentum up to give you a chance to clip in. If you don't manage to get clipped in, start one legged cycling again and repeat.

You can also simply use the centre of the shoe to push the other pedal to get going first, but it does make it possible to fall off doing this.

To be honest, the solution is to get more used to clipping in, so that you do it almost every time, first time, without fail, and the only way to get there is practise - but it will come sooner than you think!

Alternatively don't stop at the bottom of hills!

OP
OP
mwktar

mwktar

Über Member
PK99- always worried about trying to use the shoe itself as its so slippery! Will try it out though as its better than the alternative

Coppercyclist - they have really helped with my hill climbing, as I know if I stop half way up ill have to clip back In!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Do what all real cyclists do: stay clipped in and lean on that car beside you at the traffic light. Car drivers love helping cyclists out.

OP
OP
mwktar

mwktar

Über Member
Cheers for the tips guys- big ride tomorrow - ill let ya know how I get off.

Am really impressed with the friendly and helpful nature of these forums :smile:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
If it's not an emergency stop you should be able to change into a lower gear as you slow down - this should help you build up momentum and balance when you set off again.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Don't worry - it happens to the best of us. Even the professionals. Remember that 30% climb on the Tirreno-Adriatico? If you stop on that, then you're walking up, unless there's someone around to give you a shove.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
If in a big(ger) gear come off the saddle, click the front changer over to the small ring position, hold the front brake and lift the rear of the bike spin the crank with your still clipped in foot,, slip it onto the small chainring and away!!! a lot easier to do than write down.

Steve Saunders

It's easier with SPD's, as you can still pedal relatively easily while not clipped in - not really possible with SPD-SL's.
Remembering to change down to an easy gear before stopping is key I find. Also, one legged cycling for a bit to get momentum is usually enough unless it's particularly steep. If it's a steep hill, I wait until the way is clear and then start off across the hill (i.e. perpendicular to the road direction), and hopefully get clipped in that way.

Top Bottom