Starting on a hill with SPD's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Saunders

As with a loaded tourer, I guess a tandem must be interesting too - although you probably wouldn't be using clipless pedals in that case.

As spd-sl's get older. They will start to hang in a way that naturally orientates easier clipping in. Pedalling on he flat with the sole of a road shoe is ok but on a hill it's a recipe for disaster! However if you do miss the clip and end up pedalling on a unclipped cleat but correctly orientated pedal then just keep going until you feel confident for a retry as this is often grippier that the sole..!

OP
OP
mwktar

mwktar

Über Member
As spd-sl's get older. They will start to hang in a way that naturally orientates easier clipping in. Pedalling on he flat with the sole of a road shoe is ok but on a hill it's a recipe for disaster! However if you do miss the clip and end up pedalling on a unclipped cleat but correctly orientated pedal then just keep going until you feel confident for a retry as this is often grippier that the sole..!

This is what tends to happen if i'm lucky - i really wanted MTC spd shoes as there are some much more forgiving pedals out there but with size 16 (uk) feet i had to take what i could get in the shoe dept!!!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Don't be too fussed about stopping at the bottom of the hill. It has great training value, because you now have to pedal harder to get up the hill, due to missing out on that helpful momentum ^_^. When in the same situation, I've used the technique that thegravestoneman mentioned. I once had the urge to ride up a hill with approx. 30% grade, and I made the mistake of stopping at the start of it. Even though I was in my lowest gear (30/34 on my tourer), I still had trouble getting going. I had to ride the bike across the road to get momentum, and then turn to go up the road, which was a bit tricky :laugh:.

triangles

Über Member
This is what tends to happen if i'm lucky - i really wanted MTC spd shoes as there are some much more forgiving pedals out there but with size 16 (uk) feet i had to take what i could get in the shoe dept!!!

Wow how tall are you?

My Dad's 6'6'' and only needs size 13...

Have you had trouble getting an appropriate size bike frame?

PocketFrog

Northern Monkey
but with size 16 (uk) feet i had to take what i could get in the shoe dept!!!

shoes_1389718c.jpg

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
It's just practice. ;)

I learned to use SPDs on a mountain bike. If you can get your feet in while trying to ride up an impossibly steep, slippery, rutted track, with rocks, tree roots and the cleat blocked up with mud, anything on-road will be very easy! Riding fixed-wheel with SPDs is also quite easy compared to clipping in off-road.

A few tips:
1. Double sided pedal/cleat designs are probably easier
2. Balance is important, practice riding as slowly as possible with regular 'flat' pedals to get a feel for the bike
3. You need to be able to get the other foot out quick if your balance is not up to scratch, so practice unclipping with weight on the foot you're trying to release. You can do this while holding a lamp post.

Boon 51

Veteran
I have both SPD and SPD SL pedals and the mountain bike ones are better to start with and very easy to use but I have kept on with the SPD SL's and they do become easier as time goes on?
But think pedals before any hazzard will help things along. :smile:

DWiggy

Über Member
I always drop to an easy gear as part of my slowing/stopping maneuver then peddle with the clipped in foot and if i miss clip or the pedal is upside down I just continue peddling with the arch of my foot until I can clip it in properly.
I fell off a few time at the beginning when using spd-sl's

Top Bottom