Starting over, upgrade advice and what basics do I need?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AidenL

Hi all,

I've decided to dig out my current bike and get it fettled and hot the road again, for excerise and general fitness. Im 55 now, and I used Clyde to school, work, everywhere basically from 12 till 22, then cars came along, career and a lot of time spent away, but now Im thinking I need a good hobby to keep me busy and what better than cycling as it was one of my original loves.

10 years ago, I bought a Trek Alpha 2.3 bike and its been very underused. Heres the spec:

https://archive.trekbikes.com/ie/en/2010/trek/23#/ie/en/2010/trek/23/details

Id like to change that 12-27 10 speed cassette to something like an 11-34 to give me more hill climbing ability as Im struggling on the steeper ones with the 27 cogs. Is that doable? Its 50-34 on the crank. Could I get away with an 11-36? Or is that pushing it? I presume as I don't have the proper tools, id be better letting a bike shop do this?

There are 23c tyres fitted and I see they are quite out of fashion these days with 25, 28 and 32 c mentioned. Would anyone be able to advise me what ar the best size I could fit on there? Is there a best make to go for and again, where's the best place to buy? Tube or tubeless best?

Leading on from the tyre change, could I do that myself, and what tools would I need to change tyres. In the 10 years I used cycle daily, I actually never had a puncture. I can change a car tyre but never had occasion to change a bike tyre. I presume Id need a set of specific tools, and that I really should carry them with me along with a. repair kit? Could anyone point me in the direction of what's best to buy and where from please?

Finally, is this throwing good money after bad? Should I just look at trading in and buying a more modern bike, or is what I have good enough for 2 or three 30 to 50km km runs per week which is the most Id see myself doing?

Im sure I have asked some silly questions, but I'd welcome your experienced guidance.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

vickster

Legendary Member
It is still a modern bike 👍
You may need a new rear mech to accommodate a bigger cassette. Ask the bike shop

The tyre width will depend on frame clearance, but plenty of people still ride 23mm tyres so there‘s no need to change. If you want to, check with mechanic. You’ll need new wheels for tubeless so just get a puncture resistant tyre and stick with tubes. To fix a puncture get some patches, tyre levers, track pump, carry Spare tubes too in case the damage isn’t repairable (my tubes always seem to fail completely around the valve :rolleyes:)

OP
OP
A

AidenL

Thanks for that.

I'll definitely get to the bike shop, don't want to make a mess after my long break away, while id love to learn how to tweak and upgrade myself, I best start on the ground floor.

What do you carry a pump, tubes and repair kit in on a road bike though?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Id like to change that 12-27 10 speed cassette to something like an 11-34 to give me more hill climbing ability as Im struggling on the steeper ones with the 27 cogs. Is that doable? Its 50-34 on the crank. Could I get away with an 11-36? Or is that pushing it? I presume as I don't have the proper tools, id be better letting a bike shop do this?
I went that way on my CX bike. I put a 12-36 cassette on and fitted a mountain bike rear derailleur to cope with the longer chain required.

If you don't have the tools or the know-how, it probably would be a good idea to give your local bike mechanic some work to do! (Unless you particularly fancy learning how to do these jobs yourself...)

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome: Lots of fun available on that bike.
From the Trek link you shared I deduce you have a 105 5700 groupset. The rear mech (RD) is an RD-5700. Its ability to run a much larger large sprocket depends on depends whether it is a short cage (SS) or long cage (GS). If the latter (likely) then capacity is 39. 16t delta between the rings (50-34) so the cassette can have a range of 23t (cf 12-27 currently). However the other aspect is that the spec limits the largest sprocket to 28t but many eg on here have managed 30t or even 32t (I haven't). https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/si/SI-5X90B-003-ENG.pdf
Hope that helps/informs (12-32 is "pushing it".) New cassette needs new chain at the same time.
Before the next time you go any distance I'd take the tyres off and refit them. If you get a puncture (Bontrager Race AW tyres) on the road you will want to have confidence to be able to remove the punctured tube (check what caused the puncture and remove 'sharp' if still present), install the spare tube you are carrying, pump up and ride on. Depending on OP+10kg, pressure in the tyres will above 100psi, certainly on the back
The tyres and tubes are 10 years old. So are the cables. All those may be fine. But I suggest you should consider replacing all those before many more rides. 622-25 tyres should be fine, but the internal rim width is 14mm so 28 as a max. The frame will likely limit the width of tyre you can run.
There are threads on CycleChat which consider replacement tyres. Have a scan down the thread titles.

OP
OP
A

AidenL

I went that way on my CX bike. I put a 12-36 cassette on and fitted a mountain bike rear derailleur to cope with the longer chain required.

If you don't have the tools or the know-how, it probably would be a good idea to give your local bike mechanic some work to do! (Unless you particularly fancy learning how to do these jobs yourself...)

I think I'll get it to my LBS then, they are reopening here tomorrow in Ireland. I'd imagine they will be well backed up with repairs though. I would like to learn the basics myself in time.

OP
OP
A

AidenL

:welcome: Lots of fun available on that bike.
From the Trek link you shared I deduce you have a 105 5700 groupset. The rear mech (RD) is an RD-5700. Its ability to run a much larger large sprocket depends on depends whether it is a short cage (SS) or long cage (GS). If the latter (likely) then capacity is 39. 16t delta between the rings (50-34) so the cassette can have a range of 23t (cf 12-27 currently). However the other aspect is that the spec limits the largest sprocket to 28t but many eg on here have managed 30t or even 32t (I haven't). https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/si/SI-5X90B-003-ENG.pdf
Hope that helps/informs (12-32 is "pushing it".) New cassette needs new chain at the same time.
Before the next time you go any distance I'd take the tyres off and refit them. If you get a puncture (Bontrager Race AW tyres) on the road you will want to have confidence to be able to remove the punctured tube (check what caused the puncture and remove 'sharp' if still present), install the spare tube you are carrying, pump up and ride on. Depending on OP+10kg, pressure in the tyres will above 100psi, certainly on the back
The tyres and tubes are 10 years old. So are the cables. All those may be fine. But I suggest you should consider replacing all those before many more rides. 622-25 tyres should be fine, but the internal rim width is 14mm so 28 as a max. The frame will likely limit the width of tyre you can run.
There are threads on CycleChat which consider replacement tyres. Have a scan down the thread titles.
Thanks for that. I did see something when I was reading about the total number of cogs. I presume I could, if I wanted 34, similar to what @ColinJ has done, replace the rear derailleur and chain? This is definitely why I need the experts here but the LBS to do the heavy lifting then !

Hadn't thought of the age of the tyres - thats a great point, im sure they have wear and tear from cold frosty nights in the shed over the years. A change would be wise then. I pumped them to 100psi, I weigh 15 stone currently.

I don't even have a puncture repair kit or a small pump, I have a track pump. Nor tyre tools. Wheres the best place to but that kind of gear online?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
There are lots of videos on YouTube to guide you through the basics, including puncture repairs.

Park Tools videos generally come highly recommended, but you will be spoiled for choice.

OP
OP
A

AidenL

There are lots of videos on YouTube to guide you through the basics, including puncture repairs.

Park Tools videos generally come highly recommended, but you will be spoiled for choice.
I’ll check them out, thank you. I went down a rabbit hole of GCN videos on YouTube last week, hours fly by! 😂

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I’ll check them out, thank you. I went down a rabbit hole of GCN videos on YouTube last week, hours fly by! 😂
As Northern Dave states there are lots of very good videos. GCN is one I use if I unsure about a maintenance issue.
And this site has many knowledgeable subscribers who are quite happy to provide advice.
Good luck

The GCN maintenance ones are good - as you say the trouble is all the other stuff on there which is entertaining but makes time vanish ^_^

OP
OP
A

AidenL

Right, new track pump, mini pump, puncture repair kit and a 48 piece tool kit picked out online.

It costs a few quid to be ready to hit the road again!

Top Bottom