Starting riding!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bear1

Hello to all! Let me first apologize for any dumb questions I may ask. So I'm looking at getting into some trail riding. I already camp(overland), backpack, kayak so why not bike?! Anyway's...I'm looking at a GT Aggressor Pro but from what I seem to find online is that the PRO isn't made anymore?? It's replaced with the SPORT from what I can find. Is that correct?

weareHKR

No such thing as dumb questions... Just dumb answers.... :okay:

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Hi - yes they change names all the time to "refresh" the range.

I think it's now either Sport or Expert and it's a hardtail (without rear suspension)

I don't know the GT range personally but bikes tend to be much of a muchness these days within every given price range.The frames will be much the same so all you are looking at are the wheels, the front shocks and the groupset (gears) to differentiate between bikes.

Personally I always look for Shimano shifting as it holds up really well. I have a Carrera Vengeance which is probably just as good and a bit cheaper.

OP
OP
B

Bear1

Hi - yes they change names all the time to "refresh" the range.

I think it's now either Sport or Expert and it's a hardtail (without rear suspension)

I don't know the GT range personally but bikes tend to be much of a muchness these days within every given price range.The frames will be much the same so all you are looking at are the wheels, the front shocks and the groupset (gears) to differentiate between bikes.

Personally I always look for Shimano shifting as it holds up really well. I have a Carrera Vengeance which is probably just as good and a bit cheaper.
Thanks!! Yeah from my internet research I have found that Shimano is the go to shifters. The other thing that seems to be debatable is the brakes, hydraulic vs mechanical. I see that one going both ways alot from folks. But it's my understanding that you definitely want disc brakes. The next thing i see talked about alot is the front suspension,(I say front because i've really only looked at hard tails). 100mm travel seems to be a sweet spot but then I see different designs being the argument, (air vs coil over???). Other then that I know that I love riding bikes lol!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and :welcome: to the forum.

The GT Aggressor is a mountain bike. Budget MTBs tend to be heavy and once you get it loaded with your gear it's going to be even heavier and adding to that is the suspension fork which is basically a tube with a spring it it giving little damping. I think you'll be better off with Hybrid with ridgid fork. Either that or a touring bike, both will be able to carry loads and cope with trails and tarmac. A mountain bike is going to be hard work on the road especially loaded. Another option is a gravel bike which are very popular now as they will also handle most terrains.
Are you in the UK or US?

GT is a decent midrange bike for trail use. The characteristic tripple triangle frame design however can be problematic. In larger sizes it adds stiffness which is useful. In medium and smaller sizes it adds stiffness which is not required. The low height of the seatstay junction ( below the level of the top of the wheel) make fitting a rear luggage rack less effective. This style of frame needs long connecting rack stays that angle down. They are much flexier than short rack stays that can maintain the triangular form of the rear luggage rack.

If you are planning to tour with this bike, give some consideration to rack fitting.

I got a used GT (2014 GT Timberline 1.0 29r) a cpl yrs ago that seems similar. short travel spring fork, mechanical disks. I got it used for $200 & have been having fun with it. (it's my 3rd GT, the 1st 2 were 26ers w/ rigid forks)

I've learned what it is & what it isn't. a cpl years ago I was able to keep up with a friend w/ a better bike & I may be riding with a new friend soon & I'm hoping I can keep up! I guess whatever you decide on, is OK, so long as you know what you have & what you don't. I think buyers remorse comes from not enough research or test riding. someday I'll afford a better bike, but right now, I'm riding what I got

gt 2.jpg

GT w trunk and stays.jpg

gt winter.jpg

swapped the fork last spring. same model just a little longer & no squeak. reworked the rear rack. the plastic platform finally broke enough that I was tired of repairing it. and the long rack stays that I made myself weren't necessary so I took them off
GT at Cape cliff.JPG

it is a beast to carry out of my basement for every ride. I'm so happy when it's light road bike day! but I've been having a blast with this entry level cheapo

Last edited:
Top Bottom