Starting to fight back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bluenotebob

Veteran
I had a splendid ride last night, enjoying the cool evening air and the delights of the countryside, and exchanging pleasantries with just about everyone I passed along the way. Lots of dogwalkers, joggers, a few children out learning how to ride with their parents, some pensioners chatting to each other as they ambled along, and there were a few roller-bladers out too. We all smiled at each other and exchanged ‘bonsoirs’. It’s heart-warming to know that there’s still a basic decency and friendliness out there in this crazy mixed-up world.

All very friendly then – with the exception of two hugely disdainful guys clad in lycra and sitting (or should that be posturing?) astride very expensive bikes. These two numpties ignored me – and as far as I could tell, ignored everyone else too. God, I despair at the arrogance of these people. As far as I’m concerned, they don’t represent ‘cycling’ at all – on the contrary, I reckon they’re simply a personification of pomposity and intolerance.

About six weeks ago, I was out on the bike when another of these numpties was heading towards me on the other side of the road. I waved at him and shouted ‘bonjour’ – he stared at me, turned his head to one side and spat. What an unpleasant individual. I just gave him two fingers and added a couple of English words to his vocabulary that he won’t find in any standard dictionary.

I bought a pair of cheap Chinese-made trainers about 4 years ago. I wore them inside the house for a few months to break them in – and they’d already cracked before I took them outside. I started to wear them 3 years ago when I started biking again. They’re split and they let the rain in, they’re black with oil and the soles are starting to go. They’re very comfortable though. I’ve already cycled over 10,000 kilometres in them and they’re good for a few more yet. Who needs 'cycling shoes'?

I wear long, lightweight, shower-proof trousers (made by Umbro) when I’m cycling. I've never worn cycling shorts (or any other sort of shorts) – I simply don’t see the need to. Someone posted on a separate thread recently “Cycling shorts are a must”. Well, no, they’re not a ‘must’ at all – what arrant nonsense.

I posted an article on here recently about wearing a snood when I’m cycling, even in the height of summer. The reaction was mostly one of incredulity. I don’t recall anyone remarking that it was an interesting idea – but I really don’t care.

If I come across another cyclist who’s out on the bike enjoying himself and he’s wearing a jumper and jeans, I’ll give him a smile and a wave. But I suspect that most of the lycra-clad cyclists would probably look down their noses at him. Why, for heaven’s sake, would someone behave like that?

I’ve had enough of this arrogance – henceforth I will take pleasure in bursting these bubbles of pomposity wherever I find them, whether they’re in this forum or out in the real world. The fight back has started… and if I’ve already ruffled a few feathers, then so much the better.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yep
Just like busses, nothing for ages then 2 turn up.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTErekezjJ-xoOzQWa9UscfFLARgvrxHiHkvOZJ2b-F4F_QK19B.jpg

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Nary a week will pass without someone mentioning the very same @bluenotebob.
I’m trying to carve out a role on cycling forums as the official Just Watch Your Inverted Snobbery There Correspondent correspondent (North), and my remote alert sounded while I was ironing some Cafe du Cycliste Adeles, freshly returned in their selophane from Chez Ted’s California Eco-Launderama.
I’m afraid I’m going to have to - and it will hurt me more than it will hurt you @bluenotebob - give you a:
Nod note: please refrain from further hurtful commentary regarding cyclists’ sartorial choices; others may find your thoughts dull and lifeless, may not respond to the thread, and go on to other threads where something more interesting (e.g. the “does Drago’s navel go in or out, or was he conceived of a virgin birth and not have one” thread), so making this thread fail within three pages. Or worse, have Mod Intervention, because of potentially harmful things said, due to boredom and frustration.
I’m just pausing there to spritz - must keep the gusset moist while I work round my padding, to avoid any inflammation later.
Well, I hope you feel duly chastised.
I think I’ll pop out for a quick tonne o the coast. I’ve got a new Alpenfluge Swiss Army Parachutist Military surplus polyester and concrete jumpsuit I’m trying out for longer rides, which cost me a pound at a jumble. Now, where ar my Crocs....

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
If I come across another cyclist who’s out on the bike enjoying himself and he’s wearing a jumper and jeans, I’ll give him a smile and a wave. But I suspect that most of the lycra-clad cyclists would probably look down their noses at him. Why, for heaven’s sake, would someone behave like that?

I confess. I was out in my lycra and 'expensive' shoes the other night,when i saw some cyclists wearing everyday casual clothing. They looked at me expecting acknowledgement but i just gave them a 'get out my fecking way' look.:ninja:

I’ve had enough of this arrogance – henceforth I will take pleasure in bursting these bubbles of pomposity wherever I find them, whether they’re in this forum or out in the real world. The fight back has started… and if I’ve already ruffled a few feathers, then so much the better.[/QUOTE]

:surrender:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Nary a week will pass without someone mentioning the very same @bluenotebob.
I’m trying to carve out a role on cycling forums as the official Just Watch Your Inverted Snobbery There Correspondent correspondent (North), and my remote alert sounded while I was ironing some Cafe du Cycliste Adeles, freshly returned in their selophane from Chez Ted’s California Eco-Launderama.
I’m afraid I’m going to have to - and it will hurt me more than it will hurt you @bluenotebob - give you a:
Nod note: please refrain from further hurtful commentary regarding cyclists’ sartorial choices; others may find your thoughts dull and lifeless, may not respond to the thread, and go on to other threads where something more interesting (e.g. the “does Drago’s navel go in or out, or was he conceived of a virgin birth and not have one” thread), so making this thread fail within three pages. Or worse, have Mod Intervention, because of potentially harmful things said, due to boredom and frustration.
I’m just pausing there to spritz - must keep the gusset moist while I work round my padding, to avoid any inflammation later.
Well, I hope you feel duly chastised.
I think I’ll pop out for a quick tonne o the coast. I’ve got a new Alpenfluge Swiss Army Parachutist Military surplus polyester and concrete jumpsuit I’m trying out for longer rides, which cost me a pound at a jumble. Now, where ar my Crocs....

That has got to be the funniest post of the week. :laugh:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
.... with the exception of two hugely disdainful guys clad in lycra and sitting (or should that be posturing?) astride very expensive bikes. These two numpties ignored me – and as far as I could tell, ignored everyone else too.

...... I waved at him and shouted ‘bonjour’ – he stared at me, turned his head to one side and spat.

I am confused - isn't this attitude just because they were French? :ohmy:

Jody

Stubborn git
All very friendly then – with the exception of two hugely disdainful guys clad in lycra and sitting (or should that be posturing?) astride very expensive bikes. These two numpties ignored me – and as far as I could tell, ignored everyone else too. God, I despair at the arrogance of these people. As far as I’m concerned, they don’t represent ‘cycling’ at all – on the contrary, I reckon they’re simply a personification of pomposity and intolerance..

This subject comes up regularly if you don’t get some of the kerching references. Some people wave, some people don’t, some wear lycra, some dress in civies. Just enjoy your ride say hello if you feel that way and don’t be judgmental if people don’t say hello back. The “pompus, arrogant, intolerant lycra wearing numpties on expensive bikes” might actually be nice people if you stopped and talked to them.

OP
OP
bluenotebob

bluenotebob

Veteran
might actually be nice people if you stopped and talked to them

@Jody - absolutely no doubt about that. I'm sure they are

I was hugely bored this morning and really felt the need to be provocative. It does seem to have worked - certainly rattled a few cages (which needed rattling).

I'm quite chuffed at the response (which was largely predictable) and it's put another 20/30km in my legs for this afternoon's ride

Top Bottom