starting with Zwift

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I downloaded Zwift thinking that I could perhaps use it for training as Can't get out on the road at the moment And found I can't run it in my garage as Internet won't connect with modem I didn't realize that you've to have a Bluetooth /usb plugged in to your laptop. But would it work if I had one of those plug thing that you plug in to a socket which boosts your modem signal so it relay to the Laptop presuming you have to be connected up to the net just to train on your own with out cycling with others? Looking at a You tube clip it seems you have to have an extension cable for this blue tooth /Ant thing ? soit can pick up your cadence and speed, but my Garmin 800 seems to have no trouble? Any body Have any ideas Its a bit steep wanting so much off you per month I thought if they lowered the price they would get more people on there anyway? BTW Happy Christmas to all.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I downloaded Zwift thinking that I could perhaps use it for training as Can't get out on the road at the moment And found I can't run it in my garage as Internet won't connect with modem I didn't realize that you've to have a Bluetooth /usb plugged in to your laptop. But would it work if I had one of those plug thing that you plug in to a socket which boosts your modem signal so it relay to the Laptop presuming you have to be connected up to the net just to train on your own with out cycling with others? Looking at a You tube clip it seems you have to have an extension cable for this blue tooth /Ant thing ? soit can pick up your cadence and speed, but my Garmin 800 seems to have no trouble? Any body Have any ideas Its a bit steep wanting so much off you per month I thought if they lowered the price they would get more people on there anyway? BTW Happy Christmas to all.
There’s an app for phone RGT- road grand tours , the basic is free and and works with your phone and laptop combined , if you like it then maybe go for a different software - Zwift , bkool, bigringvr etc they all offer something different . You may not like it and would rather go outside so it’s worth trying free versions first
Zwift has training rides as well as races or just ride around
Bkool does it all but not as well as it could ( last time I went on it )
Brvr has brilliant video but no racing as such though you can add people who have done it
RGT could be good if more people use it
Hope that helps
As for signal , there are a few ways people have got round the problem , with plug ins etc - I have had to hard wire back to the router from my shed

CXRAndy

Guru
Try out Peleton, after 2 weeks you will be back on Zwift.

Zwift is cheap for what it offers. £13 a month, whats that £3 a week for 24hr 7 day access. It has racing, training and social events.

Regarding your setup. Get a usb extension lead £2-5. Ant+ dongle(£15). A wifi extender kit or hard wire a cable to garage. Once its up an running, you will really enjoy it. Thousands of users per week

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Try out Peleton, after 2 weeks you will be back on Zwift.

Zwift is cheap for what it offers. £13 a month, whats that £3 a week for 24hr 7 day access. It has racing, training and social events.

Regarding your setup. Get a usb extension lead £2-5. Ant+ dongle(£15). A wifi extender kit or hard wire a cable to garage. Once its up an running, you will really enjoy it. Thousands of users per week
A Powerline wired (preferred) or Powerline wifi extender kit to get the internet into the garage is the best way imo. Less chance of the WIFI interfering with the Ant+/BLE signals. I use TP-Link kits

BurningLegs

Veteran
Check if your trainer and/or sensors support Bluetooth. If they do it’ll save you the cost of a dongle and extension cable.

No its the tacx basic one so its looking like I will have to get an extension. But looking at the web on this it seems some sites are advising you to spend even more money and get an extension that will enable the ant/dongle to stand upright as they advise that it receives a better signal on this method?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If a basic trainer, you will need cadence and speed sensors - I assume you have these fitted as you have a Garmin 800.

The laptop/PC needs an Ant+ receiver (it's a small plug in USB sensor), otherwise the sensors (and a smart trainer if you eventually get one) won't work. Can you access internet in the garage, if not, then a wifi extender also.

CXRAndy

Guru
You just need to get the Ant+ dongle near as possible to the turbo trainer. Then there's less chance of interference from other signals

I run two extension leads directly under the turbo(I run two platforms together)

You just need to get the Ant+ dongle near as possible to the turbo trainer. Then there's less chance of interference from other signals

I run two extension leads directly under the turbo(I run two platforms together) View attachment 497982
Well I am in the process of getting the Ant dongle and running a hardwire internet connection out to to garage apparently my son tells me I need a USB to RJ45 converter so I can connect the modem to the laptop also I think I will need the extension from the Laptop so as the the receiver (ant+ dongle is as near as it can be to my speed and cadence sensors I see yours looks a good set up Thanks for your advice then when I'm set up at least I can get some training in as at the moment I'm coming to the end of my CD collection! and I won't have to keep looking at all the rubbish in the garage that needs sorting!

according to the assembly instructions it could be any one of these three as can't see any number on the trainer itself Blue motion T2600,
Blue matic T2650, Blue Twist T2675 So thats why I thought it was quite a basic one

Attachments

• Trainer .JPG
    Trainer .JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 11
  •  pic for web trainer007.jpg
    pic for web trainer007.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 11

Mark pallister

Run a Ethernet cable from your router and be done with it ,extenders will keep dropping out and driving you mad
I just use a Apple TV 4K straight to a tv on wall

I got all the bits from eBay and a cable from modem into garage shoved the ant/dongle into the remaining USB port the others being taken up the mouse remote bluetooth and USB to converter for Hard wire connection , thinking that with no extension from the Ant/dongle nearer to the cadence and speed sensor they wouldn't work . But surprisingly enough they connected up straight away! So tested it out not ideal in normal shoes and jeans! Seems to be ok at the moment though was a bit concerned that it registered an average of 25 mph? maybe thats showing that the speed sensor is too far from the ant/Dongle?

Top Bottom