starting with Zwift

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
If its a non smart turbo, Zwift will put you in virtual mode, Zwift uses power from a power meter to calculate speed. Without power its a little guess work.

Is the speed sensor correctly placed /setup?

You could add pedal, wheel or crank power meter. This will give you accurate speed.

The other issue, might be resistance for climbs, your turbo might have enough resistance to allow you to develop force and power.

These are the snags with non smart turbos.

Good news is, if the Zwift bug bites, you will be ordering a smart turbo pretty quickly^_^

The trainer is this model Blue matic T2650 The Garmin speed sensor is on the rear wheel hub I will look in to the ease of where to fit a power metre see what types there are, Me being a bit of a dummy as regards static trainers not sure what you mean resistance to climbs I appreciate you have a lever on the handlebar to set differing resistance is this what your referring to? Many thanks for all who have suggested various things for me to try The only thing I have found is that the laptop is not quite near enough for me to make out some of the text Ok your all saying I should perhaps get some better glasses but I can see ok the rest of the time.

not sure what you mean resistance to climbs I appreciate you have a lever on the handlebar to set differing resistance is this what your referring to?
When you initially tell Zwift what dumb trainer you're using, it will tell you to set a resistance level, since their method of estimating power involves looking up the wheel speed on a known trainer set at a known resistance level.
For the Tacx ones it's usually 4.

For dumb trainers you don't change the resistance to simulate a climb, instead you change to a higher gear. Otherwise Zwift has no idea how hard you're actually riding and your numbers will be all over the place.

Seems to be ok at the moment though was a bit concerned that it registered an average of 25 mph? maybe thats showing that the speed sensor is too far from the ant/Dongle?
It depends. The speed it gives is simulated - based on the in-game slope, the power output it has calculated based upon your real life wheel speed, rider weight and wind resistance. E.g. It is possible to draft people in Zwift for an easier ride.

The actual numbers you're interested in are power in Watts in the top left, and W/kg on the right hand side for comparing yourself to others.

What happens if you forcibly spin the wheel back and forth by hand? Does the trainer give proper resistance? Does the tyre squeak?

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Me being a bit of a dummy as regards static trainers not sure what you mean resistance to climbs I appreciate you have a lever on the handlebar to set differing resistance is this what your referring to?
If the adjustment control cannot provide enough resistance, then as you climb a hill your wheel speed is higher than normal-faster speed

@Edwardoka describes how to setup the tacx non smart trainer.

The only thing I have found is that the laptop is not quite near enough for me to make out some of the text Ok your all saying I should perhaps get some better glasses but I can see ok the rest of the time

Well I was the same, I ended pinching the kids 32" flat screen TV plugging it into the hdmi output of the laptop

Once you have got it all set up with big screen, fans, fast pc and decent internet.

Lots of towels for mopping sweaty brow and protecting the handlebars/steerer.

I use my fans at an angle, so virtually all my 'drippings':heat: are blown to the side of my bike and the bike doesn't suffer sweat corrosion

Next will be rocker board^_^, but for now just acquire the above as and when:okay:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Good news is, if the Zwift bug bites, you will be ordering a smart turbo pretty quickly^_^

Yep,

Two/three rides on a non-smart turbo had me getting a smart turbo (meaning it was that good). I hate turbos, and I've been using them my whole life - great for injury, but motivation is rather difficult without visual input that you get with Zwift. I'm no addict to it, but it makes 45 minutes to an hour pass well. Really don't get on with spending much longer than that on a turbo as there isn't enough dynamic movement going on, and my ass and back start to complain.

I still went budget with the Tacx T2240 for £150ish but it's been great since breaking my back.

Last edited:
just been looking at videos on rocker boards I reckon I could make one up given a bit of thought. I'd never even thought about this angle of it before as Its not often I'm up out of the saddle when out on the road.

tom73

Guru
I bypassed the whole tv thing and project on the wall in the spare room.
Always thought the white walls would come in handy one day :laugh:

Top Bottom