State pension query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davos87

Guru
I reach the grand young age of 66 this month and qualify for my state pension. Made the claim to apply online and had a txt to say they are dealing with it. The pension is paid in 'arrears' according to gov.uk/pensions website, so does that mean I will get my first payment 4 weeks after my birthday? Im a tad confused.
Cheers for any responses from current recipients of SP or knowlegeable others.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I think the first payment comes about 6 weeks after your retirement date, but that might have changed by now.
Phone the helpline. They actually do help!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Yes, in arrears, but I can't remember exactly when. Then it's four-weekly, not monthly.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Just Googled this. Hope it helps

midlife

Guru
Quick check, as my NI number ends 90 I'll be paid on a Friday........ sometime after my 67th Birthday I think.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I cannot be sure it is still the same, but, I was paid approximately one weeks pension, a week after my birthday, then, every 4 weeks there-after.

I was entitled to state pension at 65 (2012). My birthday is on 6th of month, I received first payment, into my bank on 12th. Thereafter, as I said, every four weeks on a Friday. My NHI letter ends "89C", if that matters.

I was used to calendar monthly payment, so, the 13 * 4 weekly payment is quite nice, it means I have one month per year, with two pension payments, so, I can buy myself new "toys" :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Davos87

Davos87

Guru
Thanks all for the kind replies.
Yes my Nat insurance number ends in 75 so I will get paid on a Thursday. Think it will be around middle of March then.
* Puts credit card away for a few more weeks * :sad:

Dave7

Legendary Member
If things are still the same** you can have it paid weekly.....so you only wait one week for your lolly.
**things might have changed since I retired.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If things are still the same** you can have it paid weekly.....so you only wait one week for your lolly.
**things might have changed since I retired.
I got mine three years ago and there was no option for weekly payment.

Nice little pay rise for us oldsters coming up in April ^_^

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I was used to calendar monthly payment, so, the 13 * 4 weekly payment is quite nice, it means I have one month per year, with two pension payments, so, I can buy myself new "toys" :smile:
Being extremely young I wasn’t aware of the 4 weekly payment detail.
Doesn’t that play havoc with monthly direct debits as the pension moves every month?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
"In arrears" means that you are paid at the end of the period for the period just gone. It's the way most companies pay their staff The opposite is "in advance". The practical difference in the case of a pension is that when you die your final payment can be adjusted to ensure that you are only paid for the time that you're actually alive, which makes it less likely that the government will have to ask your estate to pay back an overpayment.

Being extremely young I wasn’t aware of the 4 weekly payment detail.
Doesn’t that play havoc with monthly direct debits as the pension moves every month?
Yes it can do. But we are dealing with Civil Service mentality and considering the beneficiary isn't on their radar.
But if is nice once a year when you get two payday in a month

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Why should that matter if you know what is coming out when?
Because it’s a budgeting issue. It’s much simpler with fixed dates in and out.
I get paid on the last day of the month.
All my DDs go out on 1st day of month so I know what I have left to spend.

vickster

Legendary Member
Because it’s a budgeting issue. It’s much simpler with fixed dates in and out.
I get paid on the last day of the month.
All my DDs go out on 1st day of month so I know what I have left to spend.
Fair enough. I’ve never had an issue, but then I don’t spend all my incoming and have easy access savings if needed short term.
I’ve never really deliberately budgeted and don’t spend all in one go. My DDs go out at different points in the month, I pay myself on the 28th usually (as thats when I was paid when employed). My 2 big DDs go out on the 16th and 19th (mortgage used to be on 1st but paid off a year ago)

Top Bottom