State singlespeed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Here's my latest project. A gift from neighbours who have been clearing out their garage, it's a steel singlespeed State bike. Out of shot is a bucket of bits.

The owner had started stripping and sanding this down, but gave up when they stripped the thread trying to remove the crank.

20200328_105937.jpg

I already have a singlespeed, so this really is my N + one too many. Consequently this is going to be a minimum cost job to build a low value shopping bike.

Any alternative brilliant ideas welcome!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Hope you gave it a good bacterial wipe down before touching it

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Two developments:

1 Frame stripped with a chemical stripper. That was fun! Next job to wire wool it and decrease ready for primer.

20200404_111146.jpg

2 The owners who gave it to me now want it back! I've negotiated that I finish the job and they will reimburse me for "materials".

On the positive side this saves me needing to find a buyer, but I now have the feeling I'm doing it for them, not me.

12boy

Guru
Did you chase the BB threads as well? Probably the crap approach to repainting, but I just clean and scuff the existing paint and usevthat as the primer when rattlecanning a beater bike. I ain't impressed with the wanting it back thing, unless you swap or give each other stuff as a rule. A POS bike prolly isn't worth a friendship.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
I'd be very tempted to just give it him back as is.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Looks very good, much like new. Rattle can paint takes a while to properly harden, though. I used leave mine in one of my cars for a few days in the summer heat. Got go be 140F in there and hardened right up.
You know when it's cured enough.
The smell doesn't knock your head off/ make your eyes water when you open the car.;)

Top Bottom