Stations not cycle friendly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
How is a lock attached to a rack any more of a security issue than a lock attaching a bike to a rack? Ask them to clarify.
Based on past reports of Bristol City Council clearing locks, it's security in two ways: firstly, people mess about with the left lock so that its owner can only use a lighter less secure lock that they carry with them; secondly, if there are enough locks left on the stand, other users might not be able to lock their bike as securely.

Some say that leaving locks on public cycle parking is criminal damage because the operator incurs considerable expense to remove the locks and return the cycle park to its original condition (as opposed to putting a sign on it and waiting a few hours for parked cycles and the locks in use to leave).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I still don't see how a lock on the stand, stops you from locking your bike up securely unless there is a bike also attached to the lock, that's when I find it more difficult to lock my bike up when I need to take into account someone elses handlebars/saddle and lock (not to mention NOT locking up their bike with yours!). I'd rather not from the point of view of someone having to get past my bike to unlock their lock.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I still don't see how a lock on the stand, stops you from locking your bike up securely unless there is a bike also attached to the lock…
A lock doesn't. Many locks hanging off the stand can.
plus that is someones private property, if the stand is public what gives them the right to mess with it.
The stand is also private property, even if provided for public use, so what gives the lock owners the right to mess with it other than for parking a cycle? Would you expect to leave a car wheel clamp in someone else's public car parking and find it still there when you get back?

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Its a bit like the Germans leaving the towels on the sunbeds. Its there so its theirs.
Nope, it's a lot more like wanting to use a decent lock to lock your bike but not wanting to carry it all over the place.

I'd probably be fine with it for a railway station, you're unlikely to go a big distance to get to it's something I used to do at work (before the bike got stolen thanks to my big lock not being big enough because I didn't know better) and now two much bigger locks live in the secret hideaway that my bike goes in (behind two more locked doors, hidden in a labyrinth guarded by a three headed hell hound (one of those things may be untrue). So while in this case I see it, in principle it'd stop me riding as I'd be stuck between not wanting to carry locks I trusted 25 miles every day and not being willing to leave my bike unattended without locks I trusted.

(I admit, after having the bike stolen, this is one of my issues...)

Tynan

Veteran
I suspect locks accumulate as people lose keys or get a new lock when the old one seizes, i see locks all the time that look like they've been there for years untouched which isn't very pretty

The stand I lock up to every single weekday has three of four top end locks that are always there, presumably relics

HOU5EY

I always thought those locks were left from people that hadn't locked their bikes up properly and had them nicked, didn't realise people leave them there :smile: what's stopping someone tampering with it? Sounds dodgey

Custom24

Über Member
The thing about thieves tampering with a left lock comes up on here semi-regularly. Does this really happen? When I watch videos of how thieves steal bikes, they use bolt-cutters, bottle jacks, or other brute force attacks. I can't see how pre-tampering, at least in a not easily detectable way, will help them...

I am prepared to be corrected, though...

andyfraser

Über Member
The thing about thieves tampering with a left lock comes up on here semi-regularly. Does this really happen? When I watch videos of how thieves steal bikes, they use bolt-cutters, bottle jacks, or other brute force attacks. I can't see how pre-tampering, at least in a not easily detectable way, will help them...

I'd be more worried that the lock got vandalised in some way. I'd hate to get there to lock up my bike only to find I can't and have no alternative.

Soltydog

Legendary Member

Fill the lock with glue or something similar, so when you come to lock your bike up next day the key wont even fit in, so you resort to using your emergency cable lock you carry & then it's easy for some toerag to snip the lock & have your bike away :okay:

Top Bottom