Statues are boring.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2812278, member: 1314"]Memorials need to be engaging, they need kids to play on them, they need to be playfully owned by the public. Like this – my fave statue in the UK, now so iconic it’s even on the tourist trail![/quote]

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/video-spoof-film-shows-how-2800138

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The thing that's always amused me about Mount Rushmore is the choice of Presidents: Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln - unquestionable Titans of American history - and Theodore Roosevelt...an also-ran if ever there was one, but recent, which tends to be crucial in such matters. (I'm old enough to recall when Bridge Over Troubled Water was invariably The Best Single Ever In The Entire History Of The World.)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Churchill's grass mohican was mildly amusing, if somewhat disrespectful imho (May Day 2000)

15511d1317404350-evening-soiree-trail-ride-mr-beddows-maydayriots-460x314.jpg

broadway

Veteran
Cones help
Duke+Traffic+Cone.jpg

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
[QUOTE 2812278, member: 1314"]
Memorials need to be engaging, they need kids to play on them, they need to be playfully owned by the public. Like this – my fave statue in the UK, now so iconic it’s even on the tourist trail!

View attachment 33948 [/quote]

A few weeks ago there was this report that the council was considering spending £65,000 to raise the plinth and add other measures to prevent people from placing a cone on the Duke's head.

The justification for this was that removing the cone cost £100 a time 100 times a year. The simple answer eluded them; don't remove it. The cone-adorned statue is recognised worldwide and has long been a tourist feature of the city.

They also underestimate the determination of a drunk Glaswegian.

iconeic.jpg

GC

St George's hall lions. When I was 10 I used to sit in their paws waiting for the bus home to appear and then scramble down and jump on the back platform as it was leaving, normally to be told off by the conductor.

4401648436_df4111446a_z.jpg

asterix

Comrade Member
The thing that's always amused me about Mount Rushmore is the choice of Presidents: Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln - unquestionable Titans of American history - and Theodore Roosevelt...an also-ran if ever there was one, but recent, which tends to be crucial in such matters. (I'm old enough to recall when Bridge Over Troubled Water was invariably The Best Single Ever In The Entire History Of The World.)

Yes, Franklin D. Rooselvelt would have been far better had they but known! But really why spoil a perfectly good mountain?

Top Bottom