Statutory rights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Honestly that is a toy, and probably not a very well-made toy at that.

Given the price and stated range then I can see what you mean now I have looked at the spec on the Halfords website

I suspect the low tyre pressure might not help. I suspect that this is due to cheap tyres fitted as standard and putting better tyres on with a much higher pressure range would help a bit - but given the cost it may not be worth it until the current tyres wear out

It is the battery that is the problem. It is very low capacity - which is to be expected at that price and the expected range confirms it.
It would be possible t have it re-celled with more and better cells - which would increase the range but comes at a cost of over £200 - which shows why the bike is so cheap.

As you have said - the bike is single speed - which is another point showing they have made it down to a price. Fitting gears (if possible) would help if the electronics detect how much effort you are putting in and reacts to it - but cheap ebikes I have tried just seem to detect that the pedals are going round and kick the motor in - so you get about the same power delivered whether you are just gently pushing the pedals around or pushing them as hard as you can.
A more expensive ebike would have a torque detector that reacts to your effort..
I am sounding like I am saying it is a rubbsih bike - but in reality it looks like a pretty good attempt to produce a useable ebike at a low price - albeit having to produce a range of only about 10-15 miles in order to do it

Dadam

Both bikes have 40psi as per
Assist is the bike name Halfords on label in-store show upto 20 online 10 to 15 average
In the manufacture hand book 15 to 20
Totally flat ridden and have to peddle all the time as bike motor only pulls you along a few metres before you need to pedal again max range in low mode constantly peddling 10.4 miles

What you typed above (I've bolded) is correct. Legal ebikes in the UK only give pedal assist. You have to pedal all the time to get the assist. The pedals aren't just to get you moving and then the motor takes over, that's not how they are designed to work.

Re stautory rights. Have a read of this:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/r...g's faulty – in other,, repair or part-refund.

It seems to me the bikes were as described, as you were getting within the range stated on the website which seems to be 10-15 miles, albeit only just. But then again if you were expecting to just set off on the pedals and then coast on the motor assist, the motor would be working harder and would give a lower range.
Even so you might be able to argue a case on the basis of the bikes being not fit for your purpose, especially if the salesman led you to expect 20 miles.

If you bought them on credit card, you could claim a Section 75 refund from the credit card company and you're sorted. If not you'll have to argue your case with Halfords.

CXRAndy

Guru
Cold weather will have a huge impact on range. Charging to full just before you go out for a ride is a method of getting the most out of the range. Having the battery warm by keeping them indoors greatly helps. Wrapping the battery to keep them from wind chill will also help a little

Here are our batteries -now stored indoors until may April/May next

20221121_192816.jpg

Alex321

Veteran
Hi I'm 61 not fit peddling quite slowly I'm in lowest setting there are no gears on Halfords assist bike not windy and totally flat
Speed possibly 10mph
Battery is 4.7ah 24v( 115 w I think)
Manufacture hand book shows 15 to 20
Halfords on line show average 10-15 upto 20
In-store which is why I purchased only shows with price upto 20 miles and store said about 18-20

Unfortunately, without evidence, store staff saying 18-20 isn't going to mean much.

Up to 20 means that is the maximum, which will only be achievable with a lightweight rider who is pedalling fairly effectively.

As you say, online it says 10-15 miles, and your 10 is within that. I doubt you really have any comeback, beyond relying on the goodwill of th store.
They do also say only :

Range*:
All electric bikes indicate a maximum mileage range that they can cover on a single battery charge. This is the furthest range in ideal conditions; however, this range can be impacted by a number of factors:

• The combined weight of the rider and any luggage.
• The assistance mode selected.
• The cycling route (e.g. type of terrain and inclines).
• Temperature and climate (e.g. cold weather will decrease the performance of the battery).
• Tyre pressure.
• Wind speed and direction.

icowden

Veteran
Unfortunately no fine print to read on the sales ticket

Actually there should be. By that range claim there is an asterix indicating that there should be a footnote on the ticket giving more detail. You could pick them up on that and point out that as printed, it is reasonable to assume a 20 mile range as the detail of the "up to" is not elucidated.

I would imagine that the footnote says something like "20 miles achievable in testing by a 7 stone adult on the flat with a tail wind and severe flatus".

Actually - I just spotted that @Alex321 has found the asterisk.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Unfortunately the bike is cheap as chips rubbish. Yes its not cheap, but everything about it is. Decent batteries and motors cost more than £500

tom73

Guru
As others have said at that price point it's as good as you're going to get. If you did ask questions and told what turns out to not add up then you may have a chance of getting something back. All down to Halfords and if paid by card the card issuer the chance is on the face of its slim.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Unfortunately the bike is cheap as chips rubbish. Yes its not cheap, but everything about it is. Decent batteries and motors cost more than £500

That is, IMHO, a trifle harsh. The bike is fit for purpose, for some users, but, it would appear, not for the intended use of the purchaser, in this instance.

I do hope the OP gets some redress, perhaps, Halfords will take the bikes back, and do a deal on one of their eBikes with a more powerful battery, and, higher specification motor?

CXRAndy

Guru
If Halfords wont give you back you money. The next best option is to get a bigger battery pack 24V 500-750W, then the bike will do what you require.

Chinese site Alibaba has batteries listed-£100 plus delivery, taxes.

Would require a bracket making or modifying to work and new connection. Doable if practical

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That is, IMHO, a trifle harsh. The bike is fit for purpose, for some users, but, it would appear, not for the intended use of the purchaser, in this instance.

I do hope the OP gets some redress, perhaps, Halfords will take the bikes back, and do a deal on one of their eBikes with a more powerful battery, and, higher specification motor?

Hardly harsh. True. You've got to spend double that to get a useable electric bike.

£500 would have got a decent lightweight hybrid pedal bike. Money is just lost there with a heavy bike and crap motor and poor battery. Bet its a pig to pedal with no assist.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Unfortunately, without evidence, store staff saying 18-20 isn't going to mean much.

Up to 20 means that is the maximum, which will only be achievable with a lightweight rider who is pedalling fairly effectively.

As you say, online it says 10-15 miles, and your 10 is within that. I doubt you really have any comeback, beyond relying on the goodwill of th store.
They do also say only :

Range*:
All electric bikes indicate a maximum mileage range that they can cover on a single battery charge. This is the furthest range in ideal conditions; however, this range can be impacted by a number of factors:

• The combined weight of the rider and any luggage.
• The assistance mode selected.
• The cycling route (e.g. type of terrain and inclines).
• Temperature and climate (e.g. cold weather will decrease the performance of the battery).
• Tyre pressure.
• Wind speed and direction.

The range quoted is 10-15 miles; you got 10. It's exactly what I would have expected.

Claiming mis-selling in shop if they quoted 20 is your only recourse.

There's also, sadly, a more general lesson: the very cheapest model of anything is likely to be rubbish.

Top Bottom