Statutory rights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
And the problem there is that the label that @Alex321 posted clearly states "up to 20 miles". That "up to" is very important.
The * is clearly shown so the range was never going to be a given.

Hardly harsh. True. You've got to spend double that to get a useable electric bike.

£500 would have got a decent lightweight hybrid pedal bike. Money is just lost there with a heavy bike and crap motor and poor battery. Bet its a pig to pedal with no assist.

Your only telling the truth
I thought the same decent e-bike for less than decent hybrid was never going to happen. Be like a tank once the powers gone.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
And the problem there is that the label that @Alex321 posted clearly states "up to 20 miles". That "up to" is very important.

It's something I've advised my dad about - take the upto with a pinch of salt. You want double realistically to guarantee you'll get back - PS he's mid 70's and likes to ride up the seafront in North Wales - 5-6 miles each way, but I said one with a range of 40 miles will get you home on high assist if it's blowing a strong headwind (wind changes on the tide often).

icowden

Veteran
It's something I've advised my dad about - take the upto with a pinch of salt.
"Up to" is a very clever marketing technique. A mostly meaning less statement that allows you to make a legitimate claim under minimal circumstances.

For example

"UP TO 90% OFF IN OUR SALE!!!!"

Translation:-

"We have at least one product in the sale which is 90% cheaper that it was originally when we sold it. Yes, it is the product that nobody bought because it's horrible / useless / pointless. Everything else is just 10% off."

I saw a couple of these the other day while I was walking seemed pretty decent casual type ebikes. For quite sometime Halfords sold these at £299 without being a discount offer and then as we all know prices started to increase dramatically due to various world events. Where as most ebikes are well over 250W despite their rating this is one of the few ebikes that is actually below it. It's realistically between 140-180W and would peak at 250W at best momentarily. I think the torque level is around 10-15Nm perhaps 20Nm absolute peak.

You have to factor in the battery is only 24V which is quite rare now and only a very small capacity of 4.8Ah so likely 2 cells in parallel (2400mAh) x 8 in series (8S2P) this won't be able to provide much current to the motor. A quick look at some 2400mAh cells show less than 5A for maximum continuous current draw (which you wouldn't want to do) and 2x5Ax24V is 240W absolute peak output. We know the bike only lasts about 10 miles realistically and I guess this bike might travel at 12-15mph average? You need 250Wh to power a motor for 250W for an hour and this is less than half of that plus you have to leave some reserve capacity in the battery to protect it.

I thought at £299 it was a very good deal as long as you understand the limitations. As its single gear very little maintenance but also means no high gearing meaning many cyclists will use electric power constantly because the bike speed unassisted is limited by the gearing.

Possible upgrades a 3 speed hub on the rear and of course a bigger battery as stated already. Then perhaps a great little commuting bike with extremely good reliability and all weather use plus with a bigger battery a very high range. The issue here is it only provides light assistance and a single gear so really you need to have a reasonable level of fitness. It's effectively two wheel drive, motor at the front and you at the rear and the motor works independently of the drivetrain so massively extends chain and sprocket lifespan. The motor being on the front means less weight on the bearings and there is not enough power here to worry about lack of grip at the front. It looks fairly non-proprietary so no issues customising the bike as you wish and extending its life with replacement parts both for the bike itself and the electrical parts.

It's got a lifetime warranty on the frame and forks and a high 120kg rider weight rating. Many so called quality ebikes are 120kg total load (including ebikes weighing over 20kg so rider weight is well below 100kg) and often have shorter warranties on the frame. This ebike however is structurally very strong but very weak for motor power.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I saw a couple of these the other day while I was walking seemed pretty decent casual type ebikes. For quite sometime Halfords sold these at £299 without being a discount offer and then as we all know prices started to increase dramatically due to various world events. Where as most ebikes are well over 250W despite their rating this is one of the few ebikes that is actually below it. It's realistically between 140-180W and would peak at 250W at best momentarily. I think the torque level is around 10-15Nm perhaps 20Nm absolute peak.

You have to factor in the battery is only 24V which is quite rare now and only a very small capacity of 4.8Ah so likely 2 cells in parallel (2400mAh) x 8 in series (8S2P) this won't be able to provide much current to the motor. A quick look at some 2400mAh cells show less than 5A for maximum continuous current draw (which you wouldn't want to do) and 2x5Ax24V is 240W absolute peak output. We know the bike only lasts about 10 miles realistically and I guess this bike might travel at 12-15mph average? You need 250Wh to power a motor for 250W for an hour and this is less than half of that plus you have to leave some reserve capacity in the battery to protect it.

I thought at £299 it was a very good deal as long as you understand the limitations. As its single gear very little maintenance but also means no high gearing meaning many cyclists will use electric power constantly because the bike speed unassisted is limited by the gearing.

Possible upgrades a 3 speed hub on the rear and of course a bigger battery as stated already. Then perhaps a great little commuting bike with extremely good reliability and all weather use plus with a bigger battery a very high range. The issue here is it only provides light assistance and a single gear so really you need to have a reasonable level of fitness. It's effectively two wheel drive, motor at the front and you at the rear and the motor works independently of the drivetrain so massively extends chain and sprocket lifespan. The motor being on the front means less weight on the bearings and there is not enough power here to worry about lack of grip at the front. It looks fairly non-proprietary so no issues customising the bike as you wish and extending its life with replacement parts both for the bike itself and the electrical parts.

It's got a lifetime warranty on the frame and forks and a high 120kg rider weight rating. Many so called quality ebikes are 120kg total load (including ebikes weighing over 20kg so rider weight is well below 100kg) and often have shorter warranties on the frame. This ebike however is structurally very strong but very weak for motor power.

Exactly.

gbb

Legendary Member
I saw one of these bikes in a cycle shed at our local hospital yesterday, tbf, it looked ok.
The thing is, if the owner lives say 4 or 5 miles away, that commute is easy with such a bike, charge it every day, no problem.
Its probably an OK bike for the money but it must be brought for the right circumstances. I'd tend to think 15 miles was the absolute max and never assume I'd realistically push it that far.

I paid £750 second hand, it has a 12 Ah 48 volt battery, the gearing will only allow you to travel at 16 MPH simply can't turn the pedals any faster. It folds and will fit inside my Honda Jazz, although not in boot, but between front and rear seats, in the main carry it with the Kia Sorento with the bike rack, although it will fit inside with one rear seat folded. Not sure if legal as peak power 350 watt, but rules say continuous power not to exceed 250 watt, and likely within that, the software can be configured and I have it to allow throttle use, this is permitted under 4 MPH but the software does not actually cut out, so if a pedantic PC stopped me, he could likely say it was illegal.

I think this is unlikely unless I do something daft, but I am aware it could be a problem. It folds which means I can get it inside my cars and train, and without the electric it is still a reasonable mountain bike.

The 16 mile trip Welshpool and back it will just about do, the battery is at a point where the last hill to home is a problem, but it will just about do it with some hard pushing on my part.

I did try Shrewsbury to Welshpool following Google maps, which avoided most of the main roads, direct route 18.7 miles, Google route more like 25 miles, I did not make it, had to cycle last 4 miles without assistance. Lucky flat bit. But this is with a 12 Ah 48 volt battery, so far larger than you have.

Not tried the Shrewsbury to Welshpool with wife's bike, her has a mid motor which works through the gears, but looking at £1750 so expect more, however the dirt tracks google took me on, not sure her bike is realy man enough for the trip?

But the range you are getting with such a small battery is quite impressive seems a really good buy.

Top Bottom