Stealing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Despite being non violent in any other way I would make an exception if I caught someone trying to nick my bike.
The thing is, you would probably end up with a portable angle grinder blade being slashed across your face or being smacked over the head with a 3' long pair of bolt cutters; that's if the scumbags didn't just stab or shoot you...

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
The thing is, you would probably end up with a portable angle grinder blade being slashed across your face or being smacked over the head with a 3' long pair of bolt cutters; that's if the scumbags didn't just stab or shoot you...
Having worked in violent hostels and secure hospital units I am well versed in defence of myself. Wrong is wrong and 9 times in 10 the last thing these people expect is someone not being intimidated. I am not advocating violence as I said but no one, least of all a mindless thug is going to run off with something I worked hard to get.

ColinJ

Having worked in violent hostels and secure hospital units I am well versed in defence of myself. Wrong is wrong and 9 times in 10 the last thing these people expect is someone not being intimidated. I am not advocating violence as I said but no one, least of all a mindless thug is going to run off with something I worked hard to get.
I doubt whether I would have the sense to let someone nick my stuff either, but it would probably be the wisest thing to do! :whistle:

OP
OP
B

Biker man

As I said it is rarely, if ever out of my sight when travelling. If it is I have four different high grade locks which at least gives me time to teach the would be thief the error of their ways.
This lady is deaf and had outstanding payments on her bike a couple of other bikes were taken hope she gets them back.

gbb

Legendary Member
Bike theft in almost any town is almost endemic. The very rare occasions we have taken ebikes into town and left them, chained up, in clear view of preferably cctv....and batteries removed. Its a bugger carrying them, i put them in a rucksack.
Logic is, they probably wouldnt bother, an ebike without a battery is more or less useless to sell.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Just hit them back first, with your biggest bike luck. Oh, wait... ;)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yup - the only real protection against theft is insurance and an attitude that if it happens then at least you get to get a new bike
Take pictures. Note down serial numbers. Publish them on sites like Stolen Bikes if it ever gets nicked, making it more difficult to tell.

Also keep receipts to prove ownership if the police recover it.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Bike theft in almost any town is almost endemic. The very rare occasions we have taken ebikes into town and left them, chained up, in clear view of preferably cctv....and batteries removed. Its a bugger carrying them, i put them in a rucksack.
Logic is, they probably wouldnt bother, an ebike without a battery is more or less useless to sell.
Yes you are right,I always take the battery off bit of pain but better than no bike .

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Yes insurance companies will never suffer a loss they just hike up the price for the person that claimed and everyone else to cover losses. Its like shops they hike up the prices to cover shoplifting and everything else.
I have got my bikes serial number registered as well.

ColinJ

Note down serial numbers.
I memorised mine*** in case the bike ever got stolen...

It WAS stolen! In 1969... The bike was insured so I was able to claim for it. Unfortunately, I blew the insurance payout on a stereo music system instead of buying a replacement bike. It was 20 years before I owned a bike again.

*** I memorised it too well and still remember it 52 years later - the number was 4867715! :laugh:

keithmac

Guru
I've spoken to few people round my way who have had motorcycles stolen

For one they got into the garage buy removing the roof tiles!.

Another had his stolen after advertising it on Ebay, they caught the lad who'd stolen that one, he had a "shopping list" with 10 bikes on it apparently.

A chap had his one off Lambretta stolen, they'd followed him back from a bike meet (this was especially sad as he'd spent years building it, custom hand built engine and exhaust, frame etc).

Unfortunately if you are riding around on £7ks worth of bike that can easily be sold on you have to spend a fortune securing it, shouldn't be that way but thats the way of the world.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

I memorised mine*** in case the bike ever got stolen...

It WAS stolen! In 1969... The bike was insured so I was able to claim for it. Unfortunately, I blew the insurance payout on a stereo music system instead of buying a replacement bike. It was 20 years before I owned a bike again.

*** I memorised it too well and still remember it 52 years later - the number was 4867715! :laugh:
Blimey I can't remember what I had for lunch 🤠

The bloke next door had several good mountain bike for him and his sons

One day they went to a nearby track and were playing around all day
They came home and locked them all in the garage as usual

over night someone bent the garage door up and took the bikes

His theory is that they were followed back from the track

Top Bottom