Stealing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

Biker man

I've spoken to few people round my way who have had motorcycles stolen

For one they got into the garage buy removing the roof tiles!.

Another had his stolen after advertising it on Ebay, they caught the lad who'd stolen that one, he had a "shopping list" with 10 bikes on it apparently.

A chap had his one off Lambretta stolen, they'd followed him back from a bike meet (this was especially sad as he'd spent years building it, custom hand built engine and exhaust, frame etc).

Unfortunately if you are riding around on £7ks worth of bike that can easily be sold on you have to spend a fortune securing it, shouldn't be that way but thats the way of the world.
I agree think some bikes can have tracking devices fitted ,think removing the battery helps problem gets worst near Christmas.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
People who use cycles for transport, shopping etc should also hassle their local councils for better quality parking facilities where they live.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Blimey I can't remember what I had for lunch 🤠
Before I got up, I was struggling to remember what day of the week this is, but that damn bike frame number is lodged in my memory and I can't get rid of it!

My student flat was opposite a church. I was looking at the church on Street View the other day and barely recognised it, despite staring at it on and off for nearly 3 years... :wacko:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've spoken to few people round my way who have had motorcycles stolen

For one they got into the garage buy removing the roof tiles!.

Another had his stolen after advertising it on Ebay, they caught the lad who'd stolen that one, he had a "shopping list" with 10 bikes on it apparently.

A chap had his one off Lambretta stolen, they'd followed him back from a bike meet (this was especially sad as he'd spent years building it, custom hand built engine and exhaust, frame etc).

Unfortunately if you are riding around on £7ks worth of bike that can easily be sold on you have to spend a fortune securing it, shouldn't be that way but thats the way of the world.

A neighbour of mine has a Ducati, albeit not new.

He stores the bike in what is literally the former brick sh*thouse in his backyard.

The roof has been reinforced and the door is steel plate.

He also has the mother of all ground anchors and the building alarmed.

I got the impression such measures are fairly standard for owners of desirable motorbikes, not least to keep the insurance premium down to a manageable level.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

A neighbour of mine has a Ducati, albeit not new.

He stores the bike in what is literally the former brick sh*thouse in his backyard.

The roof has been reinforced and the door is steel plate.

He also has the mother of all ground anchors and the building alarmed.

I got the impression such measures are fairly standard for owners of desirable motorbikes, not least to keep the insurance premium down to a manageable level.
Its a devil you got to do these things .

Before I got up, I was struggling to remember what day of the week this is, but that damn bike frame number is lodged in my memory and I can't get rid of it!

My student flat was opposite a church. I was looking at the church on Street View the other day and barely recognised it, despite staring at it on and off for nearly 3 years... :wacko:
The frame number of my old Peugeot in the 1970s was 1656362

no idea what my current one is
I also know the reg number of every one of my old cars - and most of my Dad's

no idea where I have put my second hi-vis cycling jacket that I had last week!!!

I know many people on here will know anyway but it is worth just saying that Strava has a privacy feature so you can hide any part of your ride within a mile or 2 of where you live

Only you can see that bit
-
however I have seen people post screenshots where it is clear where they always start and stop their ride - which is probably their house!! - and because it is from their account the private part of the route is showing:eek:

just something to be careful of

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I was addressing the fact that 3 oiks can steal an electric bike in broad daylight and 20 people will stand and film it and not one will do anything. I was told this was "London Savvy". Up North it is called "Lack of bottle".[/QUOTE]

mustang1

Guru
The thing is, you would probably end up with a portable angle grinder blade being slashed across your face or being smacked over the head with a 3' long pair of bolt cutters; that's if the scumbags didn't just stab or shoot you...
Man, i would do a steven seagal thing, that bit when the crooks are jacking his pickup truck and seagal says something like that wont work and shows them his truck keys. It's at that point I would run as fast as I could. ^_^

Top Bottom