Stearer tube length and spacer on top of stem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mac66

I am just in the process of buying some new forks for my road bike, that i will be cutting to size

However, I have seen two differing pieces of advice about the required length of the steerer tube;

1. Cut so about 1-2mm short of top of stem, so that top cap can be screwed down to provide compression or;

2. Cut long so that all of stearer tube passes through the stem and use a spacer, on top of the stem, to create the additional 1-2 mm for the top cap to screw down into.

So which one is right? Advice appreciated and thanks in advance.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I don't think it matters so long as the total stack of spacers + stem comes just above the top of the steerer tube.

amaferanga

Veteran
If it's a carbon steerer its best to cut long and have a spacer above the stem. For an alu steerer it doesn't matter, but it's always best to leave the steerer as long as possible for if your needs change or you decide to sell the forks or bike.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Agree with amaferanga mostly. But you shouldnt leave it so long that you exceed the specified stack height. Or so that you have loads of spacers under the stem, it looks dumb and can add unwanted flex in the front end. Same goes for loads of spacers above the stem re looking dumb!

amaferanga

Veteran
Yeah, don't do a Thorn...

thorn%2Bsherpa%2Bredux%2B2.jpg

thorn.jpg

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Those Thorn bikes look ridiculous, I don't know why they are designed and built like that, but to me, it looks like someone bought a kids bike then tried to make it fit a 7ft tall adult!

betty swollocks

large member
Those Thorn bikes look ridiculous, I don't know why they are designed and built like that, but to me, it looks like someone bought a kids bike then tried to make it fit a 7ft tall adult!

Thorn just provide you with plenty of steerer which you can then cut down to size when you've had some test rides and decided how much steerer you want.

....just like mine:-

IMG_0781 1.JPG

amaferanga

Veteran
Thorn just provide you with plenty of steerer which you can then cut down to size when you've had some test rides and decided how much steerer you want.

But most Thorn users seem to want the bars at least level with the saddle. So you have all these bikes with a ridiculous number of spacers.

Top Bottom