Steel/alloy "weld"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sidevalve

Über Member
Just wondered if anyone has any idea how to remove a set of pedals that have been in an alloy chainset for twenty years [better than any weld I've ever come across]! Nope, tried penetrating oil, gentle heat and bent the pedal spanner. Short of cutting the pedals off and getting a real socket on the remaining nuts I'm a bit stumped now. Please don't suggest "buy a new one" I must cycle on a tight budget these days and the prices asked for a new alloy chainset are out of the question. I'm using a cheapo steel item at the mo and it does the job but I'd like to refit the original.
Any ideas ?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
You seem to have tried the usual solutions except for a spanner with a long bar attached.

Without wishing to cause offence, are you turning them the right way? Left hand pedal has an anti-clockwise thread - right hand is a normal thread.

Linford

If you can get the pedal apart, then warm up the pedal spindle with a gas torch and get a big set of Stilsons on them. Failing that, use shock and belt it with a big hammer.

OP
OP
sidevalve

sidevalve

Über Member
No offence taken about the threads [I did have to Think about it !] but 20 odd years of classic motorcycle restoration did suggest I may be onto a losing battle and the pedals may have to be sacrificed.
PS, what's the general opinion on the small high pressure pumps ? Looking for something to take on the longer rides [when I get fit enough !], do they work and any recomendations ?

Linford

No offence taken about the threads [I did have to Think about it !] but 20 odd years of classic motorcycle restoration did suggest I may be onto a losing battle and the pedals may have to be sacrificed.
PS, what's the general opinion on the small high pressure pumps ? Looking for something to take on the longer rides [when I get fit enough !], do they work and any recomendations ?

Keep a Track pump at home, and carry a tiddler for punctures. They work in an emergency, but I'd not want to rely on one completely. They are a bit of effort to use.

Top Bottom