Steel Forks: New Question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Hello again. As some will be aware, I had a bit of an off last weekend. The bike has got through it in much the same way I did. In one piece but a bit battered.

The front wheel is buckled but I reckon an expert will be able to rescue it. The brake caliper, I'm not so sure about but again, it'll probably be OK.

The forks however are a bit more damaged. There is a crack in the paint on both fork legs near the crown. Also, I wouldn't have enough room to refit the mudguard that I had only taken off the morning of the collision! I don't think I would be wanting to trust them braking hard at the bottom of a fast down hill.

I have found some on line that weigh 980g. What would the weight of a reasonable set of steel forks weigh? I would need to trim the threaded steerer slightly. Present forks are 531. Proposed forks unknown!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i think its around 850 gr but i could be wrong

what do your damaged ones weigh ?

Are you recovering ok ?

OP
OP
Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
i think its around 850 gr but i could be wrong

what do your damaged ones weigh ?

Are you recovering ok ?

Maybe a bit overweight then. The steerer is very long though. Too long for my 59cm frame.

Dunno. I'll have them off over the weekend. I was going to take them to the lbs but I think they're goosed.

Still in quite a lot of pain. Can't lift much or have full movement. Nice bruises on ankle and knee but oddly, not much on the shoulder. Had an X-ray this morning that showed the previous damage but no breaks from this time so quite good news.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
A pair of forks from an old Bob Jackson frame (c.1973) that's been hanging around in my dining room for a few months (Mrs Poacher is very understanding) weigh ~785 gr. They're off a 23" light touring frame, have mudguard eyelets (from new), canti bosses which were brazed on when I switched from 27" to 700c in the early 80s, and a few coats of Japlac that I brushed on last Summer. steerer length from crown to end is ~7 1/2" Obviously, forks for a shorter head tube, and without braze-ons, will weigh less, while a fork for a larger frame may weigh more. As far as I know, these are 531. Hope that helps!

PS GWS! :smile:

A pair of Carlton truwel 21.5" weighed .855kg including the pressed in bits of the headset. Unlike Poacher's mine are in the garage - my partner is NOT understanding!
Sorry to hear about your crash HM

OP
OP
Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
OK. I have the bike back. The LBS couldn't find any steel threaded forks so it is down to me to find some! I have found these: http://www.bankruptbikeparts.co.uk/...t_id=19016&search=700c+forks&description=true

The quoted weight is 810g whereas mine (currently residing on the kitchen scales) are 770g. I am not going to overly concern myself with 40g! What does worry me is the fact that the ad says they are suitable for 700c and 27" wheels.

Will my current brake caliper be OK? I can't remember which wheel size calls for deep drop brakes!

GuyBoden

Guru
What size steerer and thread do you need, I have some forks
OK. I have the bike back. The LBS couldn't find any steel threaded forks so it is down to me to find some! I have found these: http://www.bankruptbikeparts.co.uk/...t_id=19016&search=700c+forks&description=true

The quoted weight is 810g whereas mine (currently residing on the kitchen scales) are 770g. I am not going to overly concern myself with 40g! What does worry me is the fact that the ad says they are suitable for 700c and 27" wheels.

Will my current brake caliper be OK? I can't remember which wheel size calls for deep drop brakes!

Those chrome forks for £30, plus £8 postage, seems good value. Thanks, I might get a pair.

294112117-600x400.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

Any fork that takes a 27" wheel will normally take a 700 wheel but not always vice versa

To see if your calipers will fit measure the distance from the centre of the caliper mounting hole to centre of braking surface on the rim as that will give you the drop measurement , if you are using 27" forks with 700 wheels i would expect to see close to 60mm

OP
OP
Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Any fork that takes a 27" wheel will normally take a 700 wheel but not always vice versa

To see if your calipers will fit measure the distance from the centre of the caliper mounting hole to centre of braking surface on the rim as that will give you the drop measurement , if you are using 27" forks with 700 wheels i would expect to see close to 60mm

My wheels are 700c. Brakes are Shimano 105 with 39/49 min/max.

midlife

Guru
700c requires a longer drop brake if the forks take a 27" wheel ..... I forget how much, my age I guess :smile:. I'd go for 700c forks as Martin suggests.

What steerer length do you need?

Shaun

Top Bottom