Steel framed hard tail for <£1000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
read thru this thread

Bike to work scheme anniversary coming up fast. have a road going tourer for commute and tarmac fun so this time I'm looking for a purely off road bike. Surrey Hills, South Downs, Quantocks and Mid- and South-Wales will be its playground, won't be used to commute or go shopping and my style of riding is what used to be called XC back in the day.

Seeking recommendations for steel framed hardtail with disc brakes with good frame clearances to suit UK trail conditions, robustness a priority over light weight, I'm a big lad and bend/break lightweight components. Not convinced a good enough FS bike can be had for the money and I have a fetish for steel hard tails!

GilesM

Legendary Member
http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/2009bikes/bike.php?model_id=92

Just creeps in under £1000, I think you are right about a full sus for this money.

mondobongo

Über Member
Get the P7 awesome bike, loved mine so fast and nimble on singletrack and loves rock gardens as well.

02GF74

Über Member
just curious but why steel? move with the times man, I suppose next you'll be wanting a penny farthing!

and how heavy is heavy?!?! :tongue:

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Thanks for the suggestions keep 'em coming...

P7 already on long list
Charge Duster could make it on there but I think a Blender might struggle on the uphills with that geometry and short cockpit
Will put Merlin Rock Lobster on long list as well

02GF74: Steel vs Ali? Like I said it is a fetish; for me it is simply the aesthetic of thin(ner) steel tubes vs thick(er) ali ones. Simply not yet seen a non-steel framed bike I could afford that I wanted to own and ali market dominance is, in my view, as much fashion as it is function. Not into heavy, I'm almost always more overweight than any of my bikes, but broke an awful lot of chi-chi expensive light weight stuff back in the day so robustness is more important to me than lightness. What is it they used to say? "Affordable, strong, or light; pick any two!" Besides if I went with the times wouldn't I be riding a SS 29-er?

Radius

SHREDDER
GrumpyGreg said:
Charge Duster could make it on there but I think a Blender might struggle on the uphills with that geometry and short cockpit

Was going to say Duster but thought you might want to keep it as expensive as possible to get the benefit of C2W :smile:

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Radius said:
Was going to say Duster but thought you might want to keep it as expensive as possible to get the benefit of C2W :biggrin:

can always make up the difference with kit like I did last year;)

U

User482

02GF74 said:
just curious but why steel? move with the times man, I suppose next you'll be wanting a penny farthing!

and how heavy is heavy?!?! :biggrin:

Steel frame is typically 1lb heavier than alu, so a 27lb instead of 26lb bike. Big deal! Then there's the elegance of thin tubes, and compliant ride quality. Plus ease of repair if you break it.

02GF74

Über Member
User482 said:
Steel frame is typically 1lb heavier than alu, so a 27lb instead of 26lb bike. Big deal!

for some it is a big deal.

fair plays, if you want steel frame, who I am to stand in your way?

my commuter is steel framed saracen kilicomp (all others are aluminiium)

U

User482

02GF74 said:
for some it is a big deal.

fair plays, if you want steel frame, who I am to stand in your way?

If you're worried about a 4% weight difference on an MTB then you need to get out more.

I have 2 MTBs - 1 hardtail with steel frame and 1 alu full sus. Each has differing pros and cons, but to suggest that steel has nothing to offer in terms of modern bike design is ludicrous.

jay

FWIW I looked at buying Merlin Rock Lobster 853 about 18 months ago, went to see them in the shop and they looked really nice, good spec and I was all set to hand over the money... But the guy in the shop said they were quite flexy even for steel and not really suitable for someone my size. (6'3 & 15stone)

I ended up doing a Cove Handjob custom build instead but seriously looked at Genesis Altitudes as well.

Mr Pig

jay said:
But the guy in the shop said they were quite flexy even for steel and not really suitable for someone my size. (6'3 & 15stone)

I'm about 15 stone and my Altitude is fine.

On the steel, aluminum debate I agree that there's no right or wrong answer. All I would say is that after riding a steel MTB I'll be buying another one next time too. It just feels better.

02GF74

Über Member
yeah, ^^^ beware of ulta light and flimsy steel frames - a few years ago, someone - Chas Roberts? was doing the dogsbollx frame - know someone who had one and it came apart, and he was tiny!!

Top Bottom