Steel framed MTBs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

MichaelM said:
In which case buy a Genesis 00.

It's top of my list and I hope it's nice to ride. I am going to try the Rockhopper too though.

I totally agree with you about the spec of the 00, it looks very well thought out, although the Tora is the basic version without lockout or air damping. Those brakes are suposed to be superb, everyone says so. Just a shame that both bikes are heavier than the bike I have now, although being three-stone over weight I can't moan too much ;0)

The Hardrock wheels will be fine for now. They're still dead straight and they've taken a fair pounding over the years. I was planning to buy an extra set of wheels for the new bike though, so that I could have a set with road tyres on. Where's the cheapest place to get wheels from? The Woolly Hat Shop looks cheap, have you tried them?

Hopefully try the bikes this weekend and let you know. Incidenty, demand for the Genesis Atitude has been so high that Ridgback have run out of all but the base 00 model.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Mr Pig said:
The Hardrock wheels will be fine for now. They're still dead straight and they've taken a fair pounding over the years. I was planning to buy an extra set of wheels for the new bike though, so that I could have a set with road tyres on.
I had that idea once and bought a second pair of wheels for my old MTB. A year later I decided to put the slick-shod wheels on the bike for a while, only to discover that...

... the rims were different shapes and the V-brakes needed major adjustments every time I swapped the wheels - not really very convenient :tongue:! I'd suggest buying wheels using the same type of rim as your originals. I'm assuming that you don't have disk brakes of course.

bigguy

Many years ago, having no bike, I bought a rock bottom basic 'Concept Leader' light steel frame no suspension mountain bike to take the kids out for rides and for short commutes to the shop etc. Since then it has been up forest tracks, across fields, thrown in the back of work vans, car boots, etc. It has had 4 sets of tyres fitted and new brake cables recently. its still going strong, dispite what everyone foretold me at the time i bought it, ( it was a piece of shoot..It wouldnt last!) I love that bike, cos its one that can be abused and still does the job! I know its not fancy but has to be appreciated for what it is... like a land rover.. so to speak.

My advice... go for what you fancy... and it doesnt have to be expensive!

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

I'm hoping to buy a bike that will last me indefinitely. I don't see why it shouldn't.

I think the new bike 'will' have disk brakes, unless I go for the Rockhopper in which case I might get the base model, but I'll probably spring for the disk one.

Top Bottom