Steel touring bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MLOwen

Regular
Hi,

I'm looking to get my first touring bike for commuting and some short touring. What would you recommend to look out for as a second hand bike? I love the look of the newer Raleigh Clubman's but don't seem to see any come up for sale...

Thanks, Mike

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Dawes Galaxy would be a good pick, if you can find one. I guess there are not many used tourers, because for ages people haven't really been buying new tourers.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
One of these, Raleigh Royal tourer. in this case a 1985 model which I run minus it's mudguards and rack as a fair weather road bike. The frame is extremely comfortable.
I picked it up very cheaply pre-virus because it looked superficially neglected.

Alternatively, if you like flat bars one of these Pioneer hybrids would make an excellent commuter or tourer. This one was made in 1997. Again, picked up cheaply 2 years ago, just covered in storage grime. Actually in very good condition indeed.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Raleigh Royal would be a good bet if you can find one.

Just be aware though that the more recent Royals and Galaxies are substantially different to the lugged & brazed models built up until the end of the 1990s.
The modern incarnations have welded frames and are generally regarded as stiffer and having a different ride feel. The Pioneer I pictured is a welded cro-moly frame which is nice and stable, and would carry a load well, but it is not as smooth as my old 531 framed Royal.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
For sheer value for money and flexibility a 90's (or earlier) MTB. Infinitely adaptable, cheap, easy to maintain and not a magnet for thieves.

They have potential if chosen wisely; for a start you need one with mudguard/rack eyes - which is generally not a problem on 80's/90's machines.
Avoid those that tended to come up small in size, like Trek or Saracen, because they often have short head tubes so it's difficult to get the bars high enough to be comfortable for the larger rider. The odd triple-triangle frames typified by GT (and cheapo Apollo clones) will cause problems with rack mountings. Welded Raleigh MTB frames were good because they had long chainstays and could be bought in large frame sizes.

Hi,

I'm looking to get my first touring bike for commuting and some short touring. What would you recommend to look out for as a second hand bike? I love the look of the newer Raleigh Clubman's but don't seem to see any come up for sale...

Thanks, Mike
To narrow your search if delving into secondhand I'd decide if you want a horizontal or sloping top-tube. I prefer sloping, others don't.

OP
OP
M

MLOwen

Regular
I've found a really good deal on a 2012 Raleigh Clubman which I love the look of. However, it's a 56cm frame and I'm 5'9. I believe this may be slightly big, although I have been riding a large frame road bike which is definitely too big for years without much trouble. Do you think I could get on with a 56 clubman or should I keep looking for something in a 54?

Cheers, Mike

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I've found a really good deal on a 2012 Raleigh Clubman which I love the look of. However, it's a 56cm frame and I'm 5'9. I believe this may be slightly big, although I have been riding a large frame road bike which is definitely too big for years without much trouble. Do you think I could get on with a 56 clubman or should I keep looking for something in a 54?

Cheers, Mike
Quite possibly. It is a 22inch frame, I am 5'11 and find the 22/22 1/2 inch frame perfect for me with the seat post raised with about 4 inches showing. By lowering the seat post a bit it may fit. It also depends on your reach.

You might also like to consider a steel framed gravel bike. My Specialized AWOL has all the fittings for racks, front and rear, discs, mudguard mounts and a comfy ride plus the ability to go off road.

View attachment 571854
Yup, good call.

For someone who wants a quite-new bike (and especially if they want these fancy new "disc brake" things!), this is the easiest way to find something suitable for many people.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm just shy of 6 ft and I generally prefer frames of 23"-23 1/2", but not with an excessively long top tube. Around 22"-22 1/2" TT centres is optimal. Any longer is a bit too stretchy.
The lugged Royal frame seems a good fit, as does the lugged type of Pioneer frame (not pictured here). The welded type of Pioneer I pictured is a bit longer in reach, and a bit sub optimal for me although it's manageable. I suggest the large 23" versions I ride are going to feel a bit big to someone who is 5' 9" unless they have really long limbs.

Gunk

Guru
Hi,

Thanks, Mike

How much are you looking to spend?

Top Bottom