STEERER LENGHT HELP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello,

My son is trying to recycle an old bike he has to use as a spare, we are looking for a new set of forks as the old ones (cheapy suspension) are completely dead. I have found an ebay source of ridgid forks but need to measure the steerer to get a match can anyone tell me if I am measuring them correctly ? I am measuring from the top of the steerer to the top of the bottom bearing surface I'm getting 125mm but don't seem to be able to find anything the same .

Many thanks Brad
100_1904.jpg

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
do you have to use CAPS LOCK for titles!!!!!!

125 sounds about right. its only ever going to be short as its a threaded steerer so it only goes from the bottom of the crown race to a smidge shy off the top of the locking nut on the headset. If you really want to get rigth, you need to remove them from the bike and measure it properly.
Buying forks that are too short is a mistake not worth making.

You say you can't find them that length, is that because you are looked at forks designed for threadless headsets? ie not threaded

jpembroke

125mm sounds about right if you are buying a threaded fork - it's pretty much the same as the headtube length. I reiterate what Steve Austin says though: it's not worth making a mistake. Perhaps consider going for a more readily available threadless fork with a 1" diameter steerer. Less opportunity for error there. Obviously, this will mean you'll need a new threadless headset and an ahead stem but there are plenty of cheap options available.

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
Many thanks all,

The only forks I can find are much longer at 150 to 155mm or more I will have to keep my eye out for something that will fit.

Brad

Top Bottom