Steerer length

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnymak

Looking at replacing my vintage forks

The old and new are Both 1 inch diameter threaded

Forks steerer that I have are 5 .5 inches in length
With a 1 inch thread

I'm looking to put on chrome forks with a steerer length of 7 inches with a 2 inch thread

With out cutting the steerer Could I just add a spacer to the current headset

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Don't see why not, although if it were me i would probably get an additional locknut to sit against the top bearing and then put the spacer above that, held in place by the original crown locknut.

si_c

Guru
Yeah, that'll work. It'll look ugly, but it will work.

A better solution would be to increase the stack height of the headset a bit and then cut the steerer down by an inch.

Of course this just raises the question, what's wrong with the existing forks?

OP
OP
Johnymak

Johnymak

Yeah, that'll work. It'll look ugly, but it will work.

A better solution would be to increase the stack height of the headset a bit and then cut the steerer down by an inch.

Of course this just raises the question, what's wrong with the existing forks?

The existing forks just aren't chrome and I've been offered a good set at a good price I feel they could just show the bike off as most / all of the components will be buffed alloy

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What Smokin Joe says - I wouldn't mess about with spacers on a standard headset (good luck finding 1" ones) as you use the quill stem to adjust bar height - adding in extra spacers will put the quill stem's 'locking wedge' further towards the top. Just get the fork thread cut longer and lop off the top.

PS the top lock nut can't go below the steerer, unlike on ahead stems, so you'd need quite a few spacers.

Ajax Bay

Guru
held in place by the original crown locknut.
Didn't realise a threaded steerer had a 'crown locknut'. Would have thought a 7" steerer tube would stick up right out of a headtube which a 5 1/2" steerer fitted and you'd be able to see the threaded portion which stuck out. The quill stem would go into the top of that.
I've been offered a good set at a good price I feel they could just show the bike off
Not if it's set up f'ugly as above.
@Smokin Joe has pointed the OP in the optimal direction: ask an LBS to cut another 1/2" of thread on the 7" steerer and then cut 1 1/2" off.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Leave at least 40mm of stack height (difference between steerer length and head tube length). Cut it down to 32mm for some hesdsets and you'll regret it ever after.

gilespargiter

Veteran
". . . PS the top lock nut can't go below the steerer, unlike on ahead stems, so you'd need quite a few spacers.[/QUOTE]

The quill fits through it but the steerer doesn't.

Top Bottom