Steerer stuck in headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Osquatch

Evening all, hoping somebody could offer some advice. I'm trying to remove a set of suntour xct forks from my sun's diamondback bike to replace for some rockshox. I've removed the stem and spacers but the forks won't budge at all. I have tried with wood, mallet & hammer to the point of no return for the old forks but they will not budge whatsoever. I have later discovered that there could be a split locking ring holding them in but I can't get to it, there Is still a metal cover and rubber seal over the top bearing but I can't work either loose without damaging them and I haven't got anything to replace them with.

Is there something else I'm missing? Or is everything just seized up completely. Every video I've seen everything seems to slide right off.

TIA

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yep there's normally a tapered lockring, it could be corroded to the steerer though, give it a good spray/dribble of your favourite penetrating oil and leave it a bit then a good whack with a hide/rubber mallet might free it off.

CharleyFarley

... there Is still a metal cover and rubber seal over the top bearing but I can't work either loose without damaging them and I haven't got anything to replace them with.
Trying to picture the "metal cover" over the top bearing. [I take it that you're working on a threaded steerer.] That "metal cover" sounds like the adjustable race. Is there a locknut over that? If so, you'd need a slim wrench for the race, and an adjustable wrench for the locknut, to separate them.

I don't know if Sheldon Brown can help you in any way. https://sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html

Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
OP only came back once (7 hours after their first and only post), and maybe saw @raleighnut 's reply/advice.

Top Bottom