Stem and positioning question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mralexrides

Do I need a torque wrench to tighten bolts on a new stem? I think i need a longer stem as I have short legs and long torso. So much so my drop bars are actually above my saddle. Even though its an endurance bike it should be more aggressive. My hands on drop bars feels more comfortable like they would be on the hoods in the right position. But the hoods at the moment get uncomfortable as the bars seem to be too close to me. So I feel a longer stem could help and maybe setting back my seat a little? or will longer stem be enough. Stem is already on base bike out like 3 inches already. Not sure if they get much longer. Seen some downward angling ones too that could help?

Thanks

You can use one of you like, but you don't need one. Some allen keys and a feel for 'tight enough' is all I use.
If I had a newfangled carbon bike I'd probably approach things with more precision.

Sharky

Guru
One of my stems is 130mm, which is quite long. Another is a "high rise" stem which has a 45 degree angle. If the latter was fitted with the angle pointing down it would give a much lower position.

An adjustable stem would allow some experimentation.

On your current bike, presume any spacers you have are above the stem?

Punkawallah

Über Member
Torque wrench would be advisable, especially with non steel components. My wrench is a hold over from car maintenance days. Basically a 1/2” socket on a long bar with a scale for the torque attached. You can still get them! ^_^

Punkawallah

Über Member
Useless? Maybe, maybe not.

DRM

Guru
When you put the faceplate back on, make sure you have an even gap all round and tighten in a cross pattern, ie top left, bottom right, top right bottom left in small increments, a torque wrench would be good As it’s very easy to strip the thread from aluminium

Top Bottom