[Stem length] for road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
You got me, how much?

OP
OP
N

nikoo

Regular
is 80mm stem on a M/L road bike too short?

vickster

Legendary Member
is 80mm stem on a M/L road bike too short?
Not if it's the size you need. Although perhaps what you actually need is a smaller frame? Have you tried the M size? I'd prefer a slightly smaller frame with a longer stem myself, it's generally easier to make a smaller frame a bit bigger than vice versa without affecting the handling of the bike too much. But views do differ on this

Go ride both bikes and see which feel better. If possible, get the LBS to help you with set up or get a fitting done. Do you already have the bike? If not don't buy the wrong size bike because it's cheap, been there, done that, had the resultant surgery (twice)!

OP
OP
N

nikoo

Regular
it's because i have very long legs 87cm and a short torso with short arms so it's difficult to find the perfect size for me.
ps: i'm 5ft 11

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd go to the LBS, explain your dilemma, see if they'll stick a shorter stem on and have a go, probably more likely on a turbo in the store. There's no reason to not have an 80mm stem

Perhaps the overall geometry of that specific bike doesn't suit you, maybe something with a shorter top tube to seat/head tube ratio might be better? Plus an inline rather than layback seatpost?

Top Bottom