stem removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Sorry all, silly question but I thought it may be more appropriate here than in beginners.

To remove my stem I assume that I first need to remove the cap thing that sits on the headset ?

If I unscrew that allen bolt, will the cap thing simply lift off so I can then undo the stem bolts and slide that off next? or will springs and washers and things fly out and be lost forever as so often happens when I get to close to a spanner :biggrin:

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Should be :-
Take the cap off, undo stem, slide off.
Dont know what happens if you pick the bike up whilst doing that though (forks fall out ????)
Take it you are trying to change stem height ? Which road have you gone for ? adjustable or just flipping current stem or 'borrowed' the other stems off your mate ?

bonj2

not only doesn't need to be really tight, shouldn't be really tight, otherwise it will bugger the star fangled nut.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks guys, much appreciated :rolleyes:

Well, that was laughibly easy. It's given a slight lift to the bars, i've also rotated them slightly more upwards so i'll see how it goes.

And remember that the top cap doesn't need to be really tight. Just enough to keep everything snug.

not only doesn't need to be really tight, shouldn't be really tight, otherwise it will bugger the star fangled nut.

(Sneaks back into shed and slackens off firmly tightend top cap :biggrin:)

Thanks again :rolleyes:

bonj2

Panter said:
Thanks guys, much appreciated :rolleyes:

Well, that was laughibly easy. It's given a slight lift to the bars, i've also rotated them slightly more upwards so i'll see how it goes.

(Sneaks back into shed and slackens off firmly tightend top cap :biggrin:)

Thanks again :rolleyes:

it'll be ok now, but for future reference if you have tightened it really tight and it hasn't broken the star fangled nut, then it'll be ok - it won't break as you ride. It's only likely to break as you're tightening it. But I've once merrily tightened it more and more and eventually heard a groaning cracking sound and it became really loose and free.

bonj2

dan bo might have a copyright on that avatar you know.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
it'll be ok now, but for future reference if you have tightened it really tight and it hasn't broken the star fangled nut, then it'll be ok - it won't break as you ride. It's only likely to break as you're tightening it. But I've once merrily tightened it more and more and eventually heard a groaning cracking sound and it became really loose and free.

Cool, thanks for that. I slackened it off then just nipped it back up anyway. I don't seem to have done any damage to the star nut.

dan bo might have a copyright on that avatar you know.

Bugger, I'll see if there's any backlash first :biggrin:

P.H

Über Member
Your headset should be adjusted enough to remove play and no more. Loosening the top cap after the stem has been tightened makes no difference, you could remove it completely as the stem has clamped it all together. If you think you may have over tightened the headset, slacken everything off and re adjust, the Park Tools instructions may be helpful, scroll down to headset adjustment;
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65

Top Bottom