Step through hybrid suitable for touring and regular 40m gravel jaunts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

julieh

Regular
I've outgrown my current bike as a beginner and need something more suited to a 250-500 mile a month rider.

Currently still using my specialized globe work01 (yes old but i didn't ride for many years). fully serviced and looked after but it's time. I find I vary between using it for local city errands, short (<30m) gravel journeys to the lochs and beyond 30 it all gets a bit...tiresome.

Ideally looking for a step through or lower bar, built for female bodies, capable of different types of rides. Up to about £2500 ideally less but goodness.

I'm totally lost!

I know nothing about bikes except I like riding mine and how to keep it in good order.

Any pointers to decent brands would be a great start! thank you

vickster

Legendary Member
How about a Trek step through? https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/bikes...step-through-hybrid-bike-2021-in-magenta__609 (they do an equipped version with rack & mudguards)
Or a rather tasty Whyte R7 (With a very good name ;) )
Although the rigid versions aren’t truly step through
https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/bikes...ctoria-v3-womens-hybrid-2022-in-orange__29057

Why is the Globe tiresome? Due to the weight? Or the riding position?

Assuming you want flat bars as you mention hybrid in thread title? Or open to drops (although gravel bikes don’t tend to be step through)

there are plenty of women's models of roadbikes, but gravel bikes are fewer and farther between, especially at the moment with stocks low
Giant do the Devote eg, but not many available
https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/bikes.../liv-devote-2-2021-gravel-bike-in-blue__18496

How tall are you?

As you have a very generous budget, is this for a self powered Or electric bike?

Last edited:
OP
OP
julieh

julieh

Regular
oh those are both beautiful bikes thank you - i have an electric wisper already so this is one just for my legs :smile:

i'm 170cm/67 inches, 180lbs 26% body fat, 48 - cycling does tend to give me legs a footballer would be jealous of! tend to avg 12-14 mph over 30 miles mixed road/gravel/mountain. So will never be a speed demon really.

i'm not familiar with either of these makes - although that's not saying much. Is one better than the other?

vickster

Legendary Member
oh those are both beautiful bikes thank you - i have an electric wisper already so this is one just for my legs :smile:

i'm 170cm/67 inches, 180lbs 26% body fat, 48 - cycling does tend to give me legs a footballer would be jealous of! tend to avg 12-14 mph over 30 miles mixed road/gravel/mountain. So will never be a speed demon really.

i'm not familiar with either of these makes - although that's not saying much. Is one better than the other?
Trek a big American brand like Specialized, Whyte is a British brand with a mountain bike heritage. Spec wise they’ll be very similar. Probably both around 10kg.
Maybe see what bikes you can access locally.
170 is about 5’7? probably looking at a medium in a women’s bike.

sasquath

Generally 2 front chainrings give wider gear range, in hilly area that may come usefull.
Think how often you need medium/small ring, if answer is different than once in a blue moon then you will probably like 2 chainrings. You would have to note what ratios you use on your current bike to decide.

Single front chainring saves 100-250g, negligible unless competing.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
40 metres of gravel isn’t very far

Top Bottom