Stephen Hawking - passed away

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
The average IQ of the human race has taken a hit. A funny and ground-breaking man. It has been a privilege to have seen his like.

C R

Guru
Sadly people on social media are saying he will regret not believing in god now. Errr no he won’t regret anything.
Someone once said that the worst part of there not being an afterlife is that, once dead, you can't tell the deists "I told you so!"

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
It feels like the world changed a bit. His physical condition seemed so bad thirty years ago that I had expected him to die long ago. He was 76 which is a reasonable age. I wonder what he might have achieved if he had not had motor neurone disease, because that must have slowed him down. Maybe more, maybe not much more.

U

User169

Once held a door open for him and he said "thank you".

True story!

AndyRM

XOXO

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I remember reading about Hawking Radiation in a Brief History of Time. If I understood properly, owing to Quantum Mechanics, pairs of matter and anti-matter sub-particles would spontaneously appear outside the event horizon of a black hole. Sometimes the anti-matter sub-particle would enter the black hole and annihilate a little bit of it. Other times the anti-matter sub-particle would escape the event horizon but annihilate the first bit of matter it came across, releasing a lot of energy. Eventually the black hole would evaporate into space.

It's mind-boggling to think how long that would take, considering the size of the black holes at the centres of galaxies. It reminds me of those scare stories Roman Catholic priests used to tell about how if there was a mountain the size of the sun, and if every thousand years a bird would brush it with its wing, the mountain would be worn away before sinners stopped roasting in hell.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Damn. I had a bet with myself that Another Cycle Chatter would be first in with some Hawking-based name dropping.
If it helps, I once went into the old Blackwell's music shop in Oxford when he was on the ground floor and one of the staff was ferrying CDs up to him from the downstairs section. It's not impossible that @rvw was on the tills at the time.

Ob declaration: I did read A Brief History. I think I understood much of it, but it confirmed that I was no mathematical physicist.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Although Tariq Ali say's it's not him

This is what Stephen Hawking looked like in the 1960s:

5e3a48e6ec0a4df594af3ec2264fb956.jpg

It does seem to be a persistent myth though, it's on Wikipedia which cites that photo, published by the Grauniad, as a source.

Reactions: C R

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up.

Sad news indeed.
This is one of my all time favourite quotes.

RIP Stephen Hawking :sad:

Top Bottom