Stepper for general fitness?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anybody got one of those small home 'stepper' units - like 2 footplates that go up and down alternately? There used to be one called a Lateral Thigh Trainer (had a go with one of them once, but it squeaked really loudly) - but have seen them in different brands elsewhere too. The adjustable tension suggests could be good for indoor winter fitness?

Anyone recommend a particular one?

Ravenz

save your money.. annoyingly bad pieces of kit, that become dust gatherers.. if you need to spend go get decent set of running trainers.. at least you'll wear them even if you dont run in them!:rolleyes:

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Ravenz said:
save your money.. annoyingly bad pieces of kit, that become dust gatherers.. if you need to spend go get decent set of running trainers.. at least you'll wear them even if you dont run in them!:eek:

I kind of thought someone might say that! :smile:

Oh well, back to the skipping! :smile:

We've got one and it gets quite a bit of use between Jan and March in preparation for skiing. Two recommendations 1) get one with a handlebar to steady yourself with ie not the mini ones with just the footplates. 2) The ones with a twist action in the footplates are supposedly bad for the knees.
They're pretty cheap and easy to use in front of the telly.

jimboalee

The theory is,,, Energy is expended when mass is lifted against gravity or moved against fluid resistance.

Do those steppers really make you lift your bodyweight against gravity, or are you simply wagging your legs up and down and your body remains motionless?

If you want a step workout, find a multi-storey car park with a stairway. Lock your bike at the bottom and sprint up the stairs.
Jog down the stairs and if you feelup to it, sprint back up the stairs.

Don't forget you've got to ride home,,,;)

Yeah, but as with most home fitness equipment there's a convenience factor. You can jump on a stepper wearing just your SDs and a smile while you're waiting for your morning cuppa to brew, when you couldn't go sprinting up car park stairwells without attracting some attention.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
bleakanddivine said:
Yeah, but as with most home fitness equipment there's a convenience factor. You can jump on a stepper wearing just your SDs and a smile while you're waiting for your morning cuppa to brew, when you couldn't go sprinting up car park stairwells without attracting some attention.

That was why I asked the initial question really. But if I did invest in one, it would have to be reliable and relatively quiet.

jimboalee said:
The theory is,,, Energy is expended when mass is lifted against gravity or moved against fluid resistance.

Do those steppers really make you lift your bodyweight against gravity, or are you simply wagging your legs up and down and your body remains motionless?

You body is not supported, so when you extend a leg it is against the resistance of the weight of the body above the leg. The plates are also frictioned by (oil-filled?) pistons so the resistance is increased at the lower end as well. Certainly feels to the legs like there's a lot of energy being expended.

andygates

If a twenty quid bit of kit was worth having, we'd all have 'em.

I say run around the block. Much better fitness and only marginally less convenient.

beanzontoast said:
You;ve got this one B+D? How long do you spend at any one time using it?

No I've got a similar one I bought off gumtree second hand for £20, can't find a brand name on it. Wife and kids work up to about 20/30 mins at a time. I prefer to jump on 5 or 6 times a day for 5 minutes, but I've got a dodgy back.

Top Bottom