Stereophonics...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

Isn't their function simply to allow muso pseuds to feel oh so achingly hip?

Mr Pig

alecstilleyedye said:
chapeau to coldplay for being dull from song 1, thus avoiding accusations of not being as good as they used to be.

Ha ha ha ha :0) I hate Coldplay. I remember everyone going on about how great this album 'Parachutes' was. I bought it and couldn't believe how 'boring' it was. I hate the guys whiny miserable voice. Makes me want to kill him, just to rid the world of the sound of it! That seems to me like a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

I like the Stereophonic's cover of 'Handbags', I think it's better than the original.

U

User169

Mr Pig said:
I told you, boring sells, because most people are witless and boring!

Ok - so what should the non-witless, non-boring listener bend their ear to?

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
Nick Drake
Pixies
Neutral Milk Hotel
Bright Eyes
The Magnetic Fields
Claude Bourbon
Toots and the Maytalls
Tom Waits
Jim White
Johnny Dowd

... among many others.

Abitrary

Rhythm Thief said:
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
Nick Drake
Pixies
Neutral Milk Hotel
Bright Eyes
The Magnetic Fields
Claude Bourbon
Toots and the Maytalls
Tom Waits
Jim White
Johnny Dowd

... among many others.

Nick Drake - Bit sappy
Pixies - ****ing cool and scary
toots - dare you to name anything apart from the big hit
tom waits - cool
jimmy white - ronnie o'sullivan is the rich man's jimmy white

Abitrary

Rhythm Thief said:
Toots did "Funky Kingston" "Monkey Man" and "Pressure Drop" as well as The Hit.

pressure drop is a great song - used to play that in my school band. Think we got it off of the clash or someone though.

Monkey man.... also well covered on the specials first.

Mr Pig

I think it's utterly pointless recommending music to people. The thing is that we are all so different in our sensitivities that we'll all connect with different music. Banal music is like daytime TV or McDonald's food, so bland that anyone can pick up the tune and like it immediately but underneath there's zero substance. Good music is like good language, you need to take the time to learn it before you can appreciate it.

Out of interests the things I've been listening to this week, all on vinyl, are:

Magazine 'Play' (Brilliant)
Siouxsie And The Banshees 'Kaleidoscope'
Fleetwood Mac 'Rumours' (everyone should have this)
All About Eve their first album.
Genesis 'Foxtrot'
Amy Winehouse 'Back To Black' (which is rubbish!)

Incidentally, does anyone else think that Mark Ronson is crap? I heard a few of his songs on the radio and I thought they sounded good so I bought his album. When I listened to it close up it just sounded all wrong. He did back To Black too and it's exactly the same. Like the man's tone deff or something! I can't listen to it, is it just me?

Top Bottom