Steven Frayne (Dynamo magician) Anyone have a clue how he does that stuff.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you have ever watched him, and many will have, you will probably be as puzzled as me.

Not the slieght of hand stuff, but the mind boggling rising up in front if that large statue at Reo. Surely the large crowd of people would be able to see the 'wires'? My take on it is that the production crew are in on the act, and it is camera tricks and edits. What else could it possibly be. What's the theory with the walking on the water in London?:wacko:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Magic?

Apparently there is a hidden platform underneath him

All magic is of course a trick, but the enjoyment for me comes from trying to avoid thinking too much about how they do it.

I really like Derren Brown's work, I saw one of his shows a few years back and his skill at manipulating people into saying what he needs them to is great.

Penn and Teller are probably my favourite though, this is their version of the cup and ball tric. Absolute classic.

View: https://youtu.be/_voERoMr6ws?t=494

Apparently there is a hidden platform underneath him

All magic is of course a trick, but the enjoyment for me comes from trying to avoid thinking too much about how they do it.

Billy Connolly had the same sort of philosophy. He was in the woods and there was a tree with a steel hoop around the trunk. He liked that. He said, "I don't know how they have done that and I don't want to"

Big John

Guru
These guys are truly amazing and have been for years but the modern day illusions are breathtaking. Even the old tricks like sawing someone in two on stage used to flummox me. The wife and I went to see Cannon and Ball in Wolverhampton and they had a magician on. Our seats were upstairs overlooking the stage. I thought we'd see all sorts of jiggery pokery going on that the main audience wouldn't see from ground level but we saw nothing that gave anything away. God knows what we'd be like if we saw the top performers these days in a live performance. I wouldn't be able to close my jaw for a month.

presta

Guru
I really like Derren Brown's work

Me too, the programmes where he manipulated someone into committing an armed robbery and murder were scary. Have you read his book, he explains how to do a 'make the pound coin disappear' trick for yourself.

As I recall:
Place the coin on a table in front of you, with the person watching facing you at the other side of the table.
Pick it up, and then pretend you've made a hash of something, and put it back down. This is important, as it lets your audience think they're getting the better of you, and puts them off guard.
Put your fingers flat on top of the coin, and pull your hand back, sweeping the coin into your lap, and clasping your hand as if the coin is in it.
Now the critical bit: briefly hold your hand up with thumb and forefinger positioned as if the coin is between them. According to Brown, people see what they expect to see, and don't notice that there's no coin there, so they've now seen the 'proof' with their own eyes that the coin is in your hand.
Now place the 'coin' in the palm of your other hand, clasp it, then open your hand to reveal that it's gone.

Penn and Teller are probably my favourite though, this is their version of the cup and ball tric. Absolute classic.

View: https://youtu.be/_voERoMr6ws?t=494

I only remember the scene with Teller swinging back-and-forth upside-down over toothy bear-traps. Fantastic entertainment!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Dynamo and others have done some fantastic tricks, but my favourite is a David Copperfield escapology trick from inside a building as it is demolished.

I can work out how he escapes... but his reappearance is fabulous theatre.

On the subject of cup n ball, the oldest magic trick in world, Paul Daniel's version is a master class.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkkIEC8gkHM&ab_channel=ZlwinChew

That was excellent, I loved Paul Daniels growing up, his old magic shows (esp the Halloween specials he would do) were great.

Me too, the programmes where he manipulated someone into committing an armed robbery and murder were scary. Have you read his book, he explains how to do a 'make the pound coin disappear' trick for yourself.

As I recall:
Place the coin on a table in front of you, with the person watching facing you at the other side of the table.
Pick it up, and then pretend you've made a hash of something, and put it back down. This is important, as it lets your audience think they're getting the better of you, and puts them off guard.
Put your fingers flat on top of the coin, and pull your hand back, sweeping the coin into your lap, and clasping your hand as if the coin is in it.
Now the critical bit: briefly hold your hand up with thumb and forefinger positioned as if the coin is between them. According to Brown, people see what they expect to see, and don't notice that there's no coin there, so they've now seen the 'proof' with their own eyes that the coin is in your hand.
Now place the 'coin' in the palm of your other hand, clasp it, then open your hand to reveal that it's gone.

I haven't no but I have read several interviews with him where he talks about the manipulation of our expectations that allows him to do what he does.

The robbery one is probably the most impressive, I read that he had to choose a very specific type of person that would allow themselves to be manipulated into that. At the end of he he does explain parts of it, but it's still a mystery how he did it.

The show I saw was Svengali, had quite an occult theme IIRC but its a long time since I saw it.

I only remember the scene with Teller swinging back-and-forth upside-down over toothy bear-traps. Fantastic entertainment!

They do a great mix of close up work and big stunts, I don't watch their 'Fool us' show but I have watched several of their own shows. There's one where they produce 1000s of bees from all sorts of places, good stuff.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The close up stuff is skill and endless practice.

The big stuff like making a 747 disappear is just camera trickery and manipulation unfortunately.

YouTube is full of how they do it videos if you want to break the magic.

roley poley

Über Member
i prefer Jerry sadowitz ...if you don't like his mouth ,watch his hands or card magic by roy walton

Last edited:
Top Bottom