Stevenage end of summertime ride.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
thanks for that answer Doctor, although it doesn't actually add anything to my ignorance

tricky one the quetion though, the front is getting a tad thin and failed me in the week and I have a spanking new lovely Conti Sport PLus (or something) ready to fit

and the chain is feelthy

eat the fry quick?

cafe opening at 9.15 seems a bit crap for a 10 start unless it's a big cafe that serves quick, or proper audaxers don't eat fry ups right before a ride

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I think the cafe is opening specially early for us.
I'd have thought a quick tyre change and a swift Mickle-method on the chain shouldn't be too long-winded.
I have a Topeak Road Morph that'll get you up to pressure quite fast, if you need a lend?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Jeezus that was muddy. My lovely Carbon Uberbike looks like I've been doing cyclocross on it.
Apologies to anyone who was unfortunate enough to be behind me - I really should have had mudguards on.
However!! A great day out with Trinka, Chuffy and Baggy, and nice to see Paulus, SteveVW and Redflight, albeit somewhat briefly and sporadically over the course of the day. And much Tea, cake and assorted bits of dead pig :biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
hmm, mixed bag for us, left everything to this morning but got it all done, fitting light to the wife's mtb was a trial, new front tyre to mine plus packing all sorts of bits and bobs

set off 30 minutes late but all good for a quick snack, halfway there I relaised I'd left my shoes behind so we arrived just as our 10.05 posse set off, in the end we were sent out with group G with our coffees untasted and two bacon rolls stuffed into my pannier, off we went until the first hill at which time the wife barely crawled up it, she was in A&E the day before and kept in overnight with adominal pain, no food or drink, just a drip, I made a lot of doubtful noises but she insisted on riding on what turned out to be two loin chops and some potatoes and peas in the previous 48 hours

but she kept going barely, we were all right on the flats but anything approaching a hill was done at 3-4mph

we barely made the controls after the TEC organiser type blokes giving us a dispensation as Grupo G peeps

and my irst effort using an audax cards went very well until we left the WI stop as the light started to go, soon after that the rain started in earnest and things got a lot more tricky, reading an increaingly wet route card under the front light for what seemed to be increasingly cryptic and even unclear instruction, we may have both been getting tired, in the dark we plain missed two turnings and went plain wrong once, and retraced our route needlessly three times after my nerve failed

but we got round and got our lonely car in the carpark at 7.45, the wife was a trooper and kept going but was very cold at the end, I enjoyed although the dark bit wasn't as much fun, I've cetainly learnt some of the nuances of the words and phrasing of the route cards, we might not have made it out of Weston without lotas of good natured trick or treat parents out and about

as ever, it'll all be a blast in a day or two

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Forgive my blunt post earlier, I was on a train.

A very nice ride as Doc has said, and great to finally meet Baggy n Chuffy after all these years.
The only down side was my surprise and close inspection of the road which left me with a sore a*se that I am now soaking in the bath.
As well as divesting myself of no small amount of mud that I collected en route.

Pics, including before and after shots of the bike, to follow.

Thanks to all at The Twitchells for a stupendous after ride roast!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Ruddy heck Tynan, that sounds hardcore. Chapeau!! to the two of you.
Come on up for the start of summer ride, and let's see if you both like Herts when it's not chucking it down.

Tynan

Veteran
yuk yuk and thanks, the wife is warm again and already looking forward to the next one, she's itching to get a road bike

Herts was just fine, some very pretty stretches on the day

I'm all good except for pulling a muslce in my shoulder when stretching to put the wife's rather heavy mtb inot the interior of the car, a long day on the hoods seems to have made it very sore, who would have thought it

good character forming stuff, I realise now that FNRttCs and Dunwich Dynamos aren't the half of it, I suspect I'm going to like Audaxes once I work out how to tackle them properly, some sort of waterproof and immediate access to the route card would be a good start, mine was barely legible by the end

it was shame not to have met you al, did everyone else enjoy that long straight downhill with a laconic hand written 'mud on raod' sig at the bottom follwed by a mile of mud clod encrusted road, I had a nasty few seconds trying to keep the bike under control while getting out of the way of an oncomng car, the cars we came across on the dark narrow roads were uniformly considerately driven, quite the contrast to London

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
That bit was fun. I and my bike were liberally encrusted with mud after that lot.
At least, I hope it was just mud...
No-one would ride behind me afterwards as I had no 'guards.
At least, that's what they said.
It was kinder than 'Because you're really slow up hills after 40 miles'

That bit was fun. I and my bike were liberally encrusted with mud after that lot.
At least, I hope it was just mud...
Certainly was Doc.
I don't think the dozen or more peeps at the roadside over the next half mile dealing with fairy visitations felt the same though.
Really enjoyed the ride despite the drizzle and the heavier shower later on, so glad i'd downloaded the route onto the gps,a couple of times i saw people missing turns up ahead and i'd have probably done the same with just the route sheet.
The wet roads made for some nice fast drifting round the corners on the trice and the deeper puddles did atleast wash the worst of the mud off. After a nice fast run in on the cycle track to the cafe i had a quick coffee. Saw Stevevw at the cafe while i was queing to get my card stamped and another recumbent rider outside who was riding to Milton keynes for a total of 200k for the day.

Well done to all who took part, looking forward to the start of summertime ride.

Top Bottom